When God talks to you, what do you hear?

This is a spin-off from "God talks back". I think we might have touched on this a few weeks ago, but what the heck. Let's talk about it again. For those of you who do hear God, what exactly do you hear? Do you hear an actual voice? What does he say?

I believe that I hear God. I ask questions and sometimes, if it's important and I'm open to it, I hear the answer. But it's not some booming male voice from heaven. It's my own voice in my head. But the answer comes so fast after the question, and it's not an answer I took time to formulate in my conscious mind. It happens instantly, and I am often bewildered by the answer I get at first. It usually takes me days, weeks, or longer to figure it out and to see the truth in what God tells me. Believe me, I understand mental illness and psychosis, and this isn't it. I am very mentally healthy and strong. I am not crazy, by any stretch of the imagination.

BlueFrogMama

Asked by BlueFrogMama at 4:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I heard Him clear as day once. I have a serious jaw problem and I was frustrated and upset. I prayed, asking God to tell me why I have this. I heard just like someone whispered it into my ear, "You need to LISTEN." It was amazing.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• That's exactly like what I am talking about! I asked why something very difficult happened to me, and the answer I got was "wait and see". Now, months later, I realize that part of the gift of this difficult thing was that I need to learn to let go of control, to practice just waiting and seeing what happens. This was a HUGE lesson for me!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• read my post from the other question it was a female voice not one I've ever heard before in my left ear. I believe it might have been a part of the reaction I was having but I'm not going to rule out it could have been a Goddess or an angel and the voice was caring, motherly, clear and said exactly what I needed to do. Never heard it before and never heard it again.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Exactly!! Hearing God's voice is only for thos that know him and that are in the body of Christ.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• babyfat5: Sometimes God will use a voice that you would be most likely to respond to. He dosen't always use a male voice.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• it's not what i hear but feelings or a still small voice in my head. i was praying really hard one night and i had the impression that my SO is not strong enough. which was true. also later i felt peace knowing everything would be alright.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I've changed my take on this to "if you say so". Really, I'm willing to concede that you all hear a voice. But I think it's just plain mean to say that people who don't hear a voice don't have God in their hearts. Seriously, quit with that! I mean, there are only a handful of people in the bible who actually supposedly HEARD God's voice. There were lots of faithful who never heard God speak!
    Give up the "I know God better than thou" bull crap!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Though, maybe we're thinking of the same thing but I don't call it a voice?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• sfwilson: But it is true. God only hears a sinners prayer except unto repentence. People the belong to God are in a class all by theirself You can either join them or reject them.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You are so full of crap sis.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008