How do you define a "Valid Religious Belief"?

What factors do you feel need to be present before someone can claim their beliefs qualify as a religion?

And do you feel that religious beliefs which greatly differ from your own are "Invalid" or "Unequal?"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• A religion is anything that links people to The Divine
    I can't decide what's valid, only The Divine One can and will.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Eek! Great question once again Sabrina. I am not sure I can really answer this one but I don't think that having a different belief makes it invalid or valid. I think validity requires truth and the only truth I can find in most religious practices comes from cultures and traditions.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• There seems to be some distinction between religions and cults by today's standards. Number of believers would be a factor, along with an organization like a church or temple. Beliefs that are far off from the long standing religions, like aliens or self-proclaimed prophets are thought of as more cultish.

Validity is subjective.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think that if it feels right to the person believing in it, it's valid enough.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Honestly any belief or lack there of could be a religion. A religion group is more of what you have faith in, your spiritual path and there are as many as their are people. Every ones religion is unique to them,. An Atheist believing that it is not logical for a god to exist is just as valid as my believing there is no way he couldn't
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The main difference between a belief system and a religion is that religions at some point and to different levels become organized in some way and they form certain rules of conduct and requirements to be a part of that group. A belief can be held individually without having to make it public and becoming a part of a group who shares that belief. A religion is public, is social as opposed to personal and the members share a core group of beliefs and practices.
    As for which are valid? Well, that's subjective. Are we talking "validity" relating to morality or relating to probability? IMHO, every belief is valid as long as it doesn't encourage violence or intolerance. That would be moral validity. But contrary to popular belief (no pun intended!) not all beliefs are intellectually valid. Beliefs that are proven to be false are invalid in this sense, whether they're harmful or not.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Validity belongs to the holder of the believes.......

Answer by older at 7:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Do the beliefs line up with the Word of God? That's my guage. I'll use Scientology as an example. It has many followers and is becoming more and more popular, but their beliefs are not in agreement with the Holy Bible, which makes it a false religion in my book.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• A valid religious belief is one that works for the person that holds it, without infringing on the rights of others...whether you agree with it or not, and whether you consider that teaching false or not.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You can go pull up a man hole cover and worship that.. In america that is your right.

Does that mean I have to agree with you?? NO!
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 9:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2011