How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop whining?

My little girl has recently developed this horrible habit of whining. She is very bright and I can't help but think she does it to try and get her way, but the thing is she never gets her way. I don't understand how to break her of this habit! Even the 1 year old laughs at her when she starts whining! Any advice?

jamiebear2008

Asked by jamiebear2008 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Of course she does it to get her way. She also knows it pushes your buttons and it gets a laugh - both valuable feedback for a toddler.
    Try recording her voice and letting her hear it. Or whine right back at her when you say no.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Welcome to the world of girls! If you find the solution, let me know, mine are 25 and 20 and two granddaughters 4 and 1. They all do it. It's just the way we are, I guess.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• its a phase.. you just have to teach her other ways of expressing what she wants and to accept that when mom says no.. it means no, not whine until she says yes cuz it won't happen.. LOL Sounds like your doing the 2nd part already tho.. whining back seemed to work with my nephew.. but fair warning he whined from ages 3-6!!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't know anything about your daughter's personality, but my best guess is that it's getting her lots of attention. Toddlers love all eyes on them at any cost, even when the attention is negative. They're not rational enough to do things that get them only positive attention yet. My advice is to do everything in your power to ignore her whining and it will stop very quickly.
    FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 8:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• This is easy, I watch too much Supernanny. Whine back at him! Have everyone in your family sit on the floor in a circle. Everyone say something to him, whining. Every time he whines, whine back at him, eventually he will see how silly it looks and he will stop. Mine 2 year old did. He started laughing when he figured out how silly he looked and stopped. I also try to tell him...."use your words" this helps a lot. As him to talk to you instead of whining at you. Just remember one thing BE CONSISTENT! Enlist everyone in your house to do the same thing with him, consistency is everything!
    AshersMommy1201

Answer by AshersMommy1201 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008