Suggestions needed

I do the dishes 98% of the time in my house. I run the dishwasher either at night after dinner, or in the morning before I leave for work. there are 3 young adults that live in my house (20-24) one works full time, one works part time and goes to school (college) part time, one goes to school (college) full time. Iwork full time and my DH works full time. what can i do/say to get one of these "kids" to at least empty the damn dishwasher???? and this has to be done everyday, or we run out of dishes. LOL

nybor48

Asked by nybor48 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• The economy is terrible . . . i am sorry it has effected them (and you). I would still be hard on them, though, since they are adults. They are younger and have more energy. They should be working twice as hard as you and hubby.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Put together a schedule. Tell then that they will need to do all of the work on the schedule or will need to either 1) increase rent or 2) find a new place to live.

It is really important that they get used to chores and responsibility now. When they are out on their own, they will get into roomate issues if they don't do their fair share without being asked . .. so you are doing them a favor by being hard.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Everyone should share in the house responsibilities Momma. Even my 19 month old takes out the trash with Daddy. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They should be doing something around the house. Write it down, give them each a list of what you expect from them, and if they don't do these few things they need to move. They all should be contributing to the upkeep of the house.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Since they have been out on their own and have had to come back - you need to sit them all down together and work out written rules and consequences. Treat them like the adults they are. They should all contribute to the running of the household, but you cannot expect them to do so by osmosis. You have to let them know their expectations, in writing if necessary.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You have to make RULES!
    EVERYONE has to help out to keep the household running smoothly.....there is no reason why they cannot understand this point.
    I'd give them more to do than just emptying the "damn dishwasher", LOL
    Take some more of the load off of YOU.
    If they can't see that point then...they will have to live elsewhere. That's how I make my point to my adult children.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i should probably point out that they all were out on thier own, all for over a year, and due to changing incomes, all came back...
    nybor48

Comment by nybor48 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011