What are good disciplinary actions for not listening

sherihommes

Asked by sherihommes at 6:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Making them listen... to Britney Spears' first album. For a whole day.

I kid :p

But seriously, it depends on how old the child is. When my 3 year old doesn't listen we have time out, followed by a discussion about why listening is important. For an older child I might take privileges.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• im going thru the same thing.my 12 yr old dont care if i take privileges.she just says ok,and moves on.wth am i doing wrong? grrr.....for my small children i put them in time out for a minute or so.after all, they dont even remember what they did....
    sunnyalison

Answer by sunnyalison at 6:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• For me it depends on what it is, but my kids generally listen to me so I don't run into it too often. If they refuse to do chores or pretend they didn't hear me I usually ask if they heard me and have them repeat it (even at 16). Honestly I don't think I've ever had my boys not do anything I've asked them. They usually always listen unless they are involved on the computer or a video game, in which case I stand in front of the TV or put my hand down on the computer desk to get their attention. I'm pretty relaxed though in my parenting and don't expect that things are done at exactly the moment I ask for them. I'll negotiate which works good for us, if I say take out the trash please, I'll get a response like when the commercial comes on, and they are up doing what they agreed too. This weekend they saw me cleaning everything and they both jumped up on their own and helped me clean so I didn't have to do it myself.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i have the same problem with my daughter. I cant figure out why.
    WinterPup

Answer by WinterPup at 2:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Is it listening to things like "will you take out the trash"? or is it "Don't walk into the street without looking first"? I have found that if I reserve the yelling for the important stuff - the second question, and refuse to do for them until they do the other stuff, I have pretty good results. If you ask them to empty the dishwasher, and 3 hours later it's dinner time and the dishwasher is still full, there is no dinner until it's emptied. If you ask them to pick up their room, there are no rides to the mall until it is done. It works for me.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If you tell them to put their laundry in a basket, and they don't have clean clothes to wear, it's on them. If you ask them to put away laundry, and they don't -quit washing it for them. My house it's all about give and take, equally by all. My daughter now does her own laundry, cooks her own dinner at times, and has learned to walk to the mall. I don't let it bother me, that's just the way it is.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Have the child make a list of things they think are fair consequences.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011