Scared to leave a home my dad built

I have been offered a chance to build a brand new house and I have accepted the offer. I am scared that I am not going to feel like it's a home because I have lived in the same house for 40 years, and one that my parents built. Is this normal? Or am I making a big deal over this?

feelinghomesick

Asked by feelinghomesick at 7:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It is normal, but remember home is where the heart is.......

Answer by older at 7:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Change is hard and your house holds a lifetime of memories. A new house opens you to all new ones...Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Totally normal. It will take a while to adjust to your new home. You will never forget all the wonderful memories that you had there growing up, but there will also be so many more memories to make in the new house. Good luck with everything!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you can, rent out the home.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Totally normal! I hated leaving my home too, but I have made a good life wherever we are. That's what matters- that YOU make it home :) Good luck, and have fun building your new house!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Keep the original house as a rental, if you can.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thanks everyone! No, I can't leave it as a rental. It's due for demo, but it won't be for another 2 years so I am looking for ways to take my memories with me. So far, the only thing I can think of is to take my doorbell... anyone else have suggestions?
    feelinghomesick

Comment by feelinghomesick (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011