Is this normal?

My nephew is seven years old. His mother passed 3 years ago. Recently, he has been behaving differently. He reacts strongly negatively to any change in his routine, he hates getting dirty or having things out of their place. His room is always very neat and organized. He is very bossy and gets angry when his playmates do not do things his way. This little boy's father is concerned and is speaking to the pedi sometime next week. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like he has obsessive compulsive disorder. My cousin was 13 when he started doing things like your nephew. He lost his father the year before and he told the therapist that he felt the need to do things a certain way because he was afraid that if he didn't his mother would die. He knew it sounded crazy but he just couldn't see to stop. It took him 4 years to get over it so to speak. He no longer has a compulsion to clean so much and do routines. I hope your nephew gets the help he needs. good luck.
    Anonymous

• he should get into therapy with a child specialist, if he is not already.

When you lose a parent, you lose all sense of "control" over the world. It is really hard for a kid. So, they often will work overtime to control whatever they possibly can to compensate for the crazy feelings inside.

Therapy can help.

Hugs . . . I hope everyhting gets better.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It does sound to me that there is a mental health issue. It could be due to the loss of his mom or it could be OCD or another type of MH issue. He should be seen by a pediatric therapist or psychiatrist.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Please do not jump right into the OCD label/diagnosis ... his actions may be a way of asserting some control in his life, which would not be surprising after the loss of his mother but the better option here is to work on getting him the help he needs in dealing with that rather than trying to treat the OCD symptoms, which are probably just a manifestation of the real underlying issues. I was the same way as a kid, particularly neat and when I look back, it probably was a way to maintain some order in what was then a hard time in my life. I was not OCD then, am not OCD now, and am a perfectly well-adjusted individual. The minute you bring an acronym into the equation, you are setting him up for a lifetime of drug experimentation by the pseudo-science known as psychiatry to treat what very well could be normal behavior given the circumstances. Tread lightly and good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011