2 year old scared of the swimming pool.

My 2 year old is deathly scared of the swimming pool. I tried putting him in...well I actually did put him in and he busted my nose. Now, he won't get in at all and when I do get him in and that's very seldom he latches on and won't let go. Last year he loved it but now he's terrified. What should I do???

2_amazing_boys

Asked by 2_amazing_boys at 7:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he scared of a real swimming pool or a kiddie pool? I would start out with a kiddie pool and put a lot of little toys in there. I wouldn't push the big pool experience on them. If they fight you too much you could lose your grip on them. dangerous.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• he won't get anywhere near a swimming pool of any kind. a bath tub is about the extent of his water experiments. I don't know whats wrong with him tho.
    2_amazing_boys

Comment by 2_amazing_boys (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Give him some swimming lessons, he will feel more at ease this way.

Answer by older at 7:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Sorry mom, it's a phase. Some kids are afraid of their own shadows, the grass, etc. No rhyme or reason for it. Dont make too big a deal out of it. Let him run threw the sprinkler to cool off & you & the others enjoy your pool. If he sees what he's missing out on, maybe he'll get a little braver. If not, dont push the issue. Maybe next summer he'll be like a little fish! Maybe you could practice "swimming" in the bath tub? Then again, that may ruin bath time! :p GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My kids are going through that now. I try to make it a game. Like try to make him splash or get some toys that will keep his mind off the pool.
    ladyb155

Answer by ladyb155 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with him. He's 2 for heaven sakes! This will pass if you don't push it. Let the kid be a toddler for heaven sakes!
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 8:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Keep bringing him and getting him use to it... the more that he see's that he's fine and safe he will relax and do better.... see if there is a zero depth pool in your area and start very shallow and let him spash and expore and then work your way to deeper water.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2011