Help! my toddlers have been wild lately

I have twins who are 21 months (tomorrow)
they're (for the most part, aside from normal toddler behavior) very well behaved boys. Tyler tends to climb things and push buttons but, honestly its just normal toddler stuff. They're really very sweet.
but the last four days they have been sooo crabby and wild!
the TEND to listen pretty well, and follow rules to their best of their ability but I feel like all weekend they've been ignoring me and they've been SOO cranky!

What could it be? teething?? just ready to be two??
I know part of it is that I have also been irritated so I know part of it is just feeding off of my frustration but why are they so darn crabby?

what can I try, what could it be, any type of advice is appriciated. whether it is about taking a chill pill myself so they are better, activities i can try that will distract them from their crabbiness, anything!!!! I'm hoping its a phase because I'm home with them all summer and I have been so excited to spend it with them, but it's going to be one long summer if they're not going to listen at all :P

thanks ladies!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 7:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like your entering the Terrible 2's! Hang in there...try to keep them occupied at all times. How about having a play date with other kids their age? Crabbiness= Are they getting enough sleep? or maybe the weather is getting to them? Hope it gets better for you!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'm a mom to twins too, only they are almost 3.
    I think your guys are in a prime space for a "fussy stage" linked to a cognitive developmental leap (like a growth spurt except for conceptual/brain changes. A book about these fussy stages & their associated leaps is "The Wonder Weeks" and there is info from it, plus chapter summaries, around in articles online.)
    I do think there is something to the point you make about your own irritability; I think that is a huge factor. Not to beat up on yourself or try to "stuff" your feelings (that doesn't work anyway because children are sensitive to the undercurrents, not just what we are "showing" them) but the more aware of your own mental/emotional states you can be (present with and observing, not just IN it but NOTICING your experience), the better. Being congruent that way is the main thing. "Children swim in their parents' unconscious like fish swim in the sea." Behavior = signals.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011