Do you think text messaging is ok for a supervisor to use?

I work at a rental place doing linens. I haven't gotten completely caught up & it's been 3 weeks. I was suppose to work Friday which I would have been a little closer to finding bottom before what was out for the weekend came back today (Monday).

I get up at 6am & shower. As I was getting out of the shower I got a text message & it was from my supervisor telling me she forgot to call & tells me not to come in today (Friday). I text her back telling her I have alot that needs pressed. She text back & said she would do it if she wasn't to busy. I knew even if no one came today there was no way she would do it. I told her that I had linens in the washer that needed to be dried. She said she would get them too. I went to work this morning not wanting to go in. I finally talked to the owner of the business & she said I was almost caught up so everything is ok. I said no I really needed to get things pressed & the house (it's where I work out of now has 6 different offices & 3 restrooms in it) that I'm suppose to clean on Wednesday which rarely happens. Usually it's Wednesday taking all the garbage & cleaning bathrooms then Friday cleaning the office's. She said you'll get it. She said you don't have that much coming back in this weekend.

As we were closing a customer came to return his order which we had to stay after & count everything back in. After we got everything counted in & we were leaving my building you couldn't find the floor in 2 rooms. Now I feel overwhelmed because not only do I have everything that was out over this weekend but the past 2 weeks also.

I'm the only one that sorts, pretreat, wash, dry then press & put away as long as everything comes clean which rarely happens. On the Friday nothing got done. The owner said her & another employee worked Saturday on all the chairties which I'm thankful for but there was no reason why I shouldn't have been there on Friday.

I guess I should have been happy to have the day off but when ask which day would be better to make my Drs. appointment I was told not Monday or Friday. If I knew I was getting Friday off I could have made it for that day instead of missing a 1/2 day later on this week.

I think receiving the text is what put me in this mood. I feel she's a supservisor & should have called instead. For the most part I like & get along with my supervisor. Thanks

GmaSandy

Asked by GmaSandy at 7:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• The only way I ever communicate with management at my company is email and instant message.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• a phone call would have been more professional, in my opinion
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It's not so much that it came as a text. I think it was more she waited until I was almost ready for work. That I had ask early which day was better for my Drs. appointment & she said not Monday or Friday but yet I got Friday off. Maybe I am being too sensitive.
    GmaSandy

Comment by GmaSandy (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thats the way it is now days.

Answer by louise2 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You know the reason they did not want you to work that day is because they did not want to pay you for that day. If they do that and you work piles up it is their fault not yours.

Answer by louise2 at 6:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Depends. My supervisor texts me if he is in a meeting and needs me to look something up for him. I also text him if I am going to be late, etc. I prefer to have a text that I can point to and say, "See, you said it was ok!" I would use e-mail more, but we don't have internet at home.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2011