Breastfeeding after a Breast reduction?

I had a reduction in 2003, I am 27 pregnant with my first! I want to know if anyone out there has had success breast feeding after having a reduction. I'm not to concerned with it , if i cant .. i cant but I'm an odds kinda girl and like to know what my chances are!

Thanks!

AmberDanielle02

Asked by AmberDanielle02 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think you may be able to. I had a reduction in 2000 and had my first baby in Dec 02., one in march 06 and another in Sept 08... milk did come in but since I chose not to BF for other reasons I dont know how much would have come in if I chose to.... I think your chances are good though...they have come a long way with surgeries!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If they cut your milk ducts during the reduction, you will not have a full supply of milk getting to your nipples. You will produce milk, but you may not have enough so your LO will grow and thrive. It is possible to breastfeed. You can supplement with formula. You'll need to work with an LC to make sure your LO gets enough.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My SIL successfully bf 2 babies after her reduction - reduction was shortly after high school, she's 26 now. The 2nd baby more than thrived on bm alone!
    Anonymous

• It is VERY possible to breastfeed after a reduction but you need to be prepared to supplement with donated breastmilk or formula in the event that you do not produce enough. The number one issue after a reduction is supply because most of the time doctors are very careless about saving milk ducts, especially in a young women who does not have children.

You should first make sure you are counting diapers when baby first comes home to see whether or not you are producing enough. If you are not the best thing to do is to get an SNS from Medela so that you can put the supplement milk into and still have the baby at the breast for the most stimulation. You should first ALWAYS ALWAYS breastfeed BEFORE you give the supplement milk. For example nurse until baby empties your breast or for ten minutes each side and then give a couple of ounces of the supplement milk.
    Anonymous

• I was able to breastfeed for the 2 I had after my reduction, but as others have pointed out I wasn't able to produce enough. And let me tell you it was still a better experience than trying to do it with my first before I had it done! I was like you, though, it's not something I stressed about or felt like I failed. Besides my babies, my breast reduction was one of the best decisions of my life.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2011