I can't

The phrase "I can't" seems to be coming out of my 3 year old son's mouth a lot lately. He always tells me that he can't do something when I know damn well that he can. I get frustrated sometimes but I try to calm myself and tell him that there isn't anything that he can't do. How do you get a 3 year old to believe in himself better?

envyme72

Asked by envyme72 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I tell my kids that they should do it while I watch. So that if they need "help" I can assist them. Although, I do end up rolling my eyes a lot at them. And letting out really long sighs.
    orpackfan

Answer by orpackfan at 5:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i tell my three year old that if she cant do it she better try and learn because im not going to do it for her it takes forever for her to get anything but she learns independence and if i see she is really struggling i give her a little help
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's just a phase. Try a little reverse psychology. Insist on doing everything for him, and remind him that he previously claimed that he "can't " do it himself. ( No no, mommy will dress you. You said you can't do it, remember? -or- No son, mommy will feed you little bites, because you can't do it like a big boy yet.) He'll get tired of it real quick. Good Luck!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• This seems to be a phase. My 3yr old is my youngest and they all did it lol. I just come back with yes u can. And I don't give up till he does it
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thanks, I will try it all!
    envyme72

Answer by envyme72 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2008