What would you do?

I went to a benefit dinner for a local family that had a house fire, on top of my $10 per a plate (spent $35, kids were $5), then I bought 20 raffle tickets for $5, then I mailed a donation to the family of $25. I got a call that I had won two prizes $25 friendlys card and a $20 mini golf card. I asked the guy in charge of the fundraiser if he can mail them to me. He called at 7:30pm on a sunday night and I couldn't just take my kids out of the pool and run to the next town. He was alittle huffy.. see first post

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think you should get your prize, you payed for it you should get it. GL hun =)
    VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• but said he would mail them, then I gave him my address and he quickly said ok bye and hung up, as in he didn't even take my address. A week passed and nothing in the mail so I facebook messaged the woman who had the fire just asking her for the number and told her I had to ask him something. I don't want to get her upset or blame her, she wasn't in charge of her own fundrasier. She gave me the number and told me if I don't get ahold of him to let her know so she can find out what is going on. Well I called and he stated "I gave them to my girlfriend to take care off" this was after I had to explain to him who I was and why I called, he was huffy again. As of today he still hasn't called me to let me know when or if she mailed him. So I tracked him down on facebook and sent him a message, I also sent the person who benefit it was a message as well.. I told her I don't blame her for any of this..
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My husband says to take it as a lose and move on. But I feel that I paid the $5 for the raffle to try to win, I got lucky won two things and aren't even getting them. My mother in law thinks I should contact the local newspaper, but I don't want to put more stress on those whose house burned. What would you do?
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would say that I would agree with your husband. It could cause more harm than good if you contact newspapers and such. Perhaps you could attmept to contact him a few more times personally, but after that I would just take it as a loss as horrible as it seems. At least your money went to help the family. You originally went to help them right? That's how I would try to look at it anyway! hope this helps and i wish you luck!
    ILOVELUCY7280

Answer by ILOVELUCY7280 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• oh yes I wanted to help him! what I think is he pocket my cards cause I couldn't come get them. Therefor he was not a honest fundraiser person and this family needs to know
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• First off I understand your frustration. Second it's about giving for a good cause and not expecting anything in return. Do me a favor...look at your house. Now look at the contents of your house. Now think of it in ashes. You have your house they don't. Those tickets were to help the family not for you to win a prize. Let it go.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• it is NOT that I wanted to win a prize and it is NOT that I gave to them! It is that I think the guy who was in charge is keeping my prize (which was offered by me buying tickets, winning was not in my hands!!!) I won, and I won fair! Why should some asshole had a few round of mini golf and a meal on my $5 I paid for the tickets. If the gift cards where given to the family I wouldn't bitch!
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'm sorry if I upset you further. It's just in the past weeks since the tornadoes I've been seeing peoples houses on the side of the road to be picked up by brush trucks. You did win them fair and square so you should get them and if he pocketed them then whose to say he didn't pocket some of their donated money too. I would definitely find out.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• you didn't upset me I was just trying to get my point across :) see what I mean now?
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I messaged the woman whos benefit it was, she just message me back and told me that the guy told her that he talked to me and I was to pick them up tomorrow. He must of relaized I wasn't playing when I contacted her!. Cause according to him his gf had them.. so all of sudden he told her that he talked to me and I would be picking them up at his work. So now tomorrow I will be going there and I am sure he will not be to happy with me. Hopefully they will be there.
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011