Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do I have a right?

I live with my in-laws and they can be pretty ugly when they are mad. My FIL, yells, screams, and breaks things. I do not want my child to be witness to this. I feel like yelling at him to shut the hell up and stop acting like a child when he is 60 yrs old. Its ridiculous and uncalled for. Its even over stupid crap, like a password on the computer. I just don't think there is a need to be violent. Should I say something?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • In a nicely supportive manner (because that's what this site is for not rude comments like you just got). I'd say move out, unfortunately your in your FIL home & you can't tell him what to do in his house, just talk to your DH about how you want to move out because of the way his father acts at times & you don't want your child to be around that. If he is an understanding husband & father he will move you guys out, if he gets upset then grab your child & leave, remember your a mother first then a wife kids always come first especially if your trying to protect your child from bad things GL!


    Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I think I would try looking for other housing options if you can thats not good for you or your kids.

    Answer by rebeccadac at 8:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • No, cause it is his house. He can act the way he want to act. If you do not like it move.

    Answer by louise2 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I'd find someplace else to live. If he's that violent over stupid things, what's going to keep him from hurting your or your child? Best to get out of the situation all together.

    Answer by Tommyskitty at 8:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • You can't expect people to adjust to your way of life while you are living in their home. You need to get a place of your own or you and your child need to stay in your room of the house away from his fits of anger.

    Answer by meooma at 8:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Move out! Just because you have a kid does not give you the right to dictate how others act in their own home.

    That said, sounds like a very unhealthy environment kid or not. Work your ass off, bug the shit out of DH and get out!

    Good luck honey, you need it.

    Answer by cueballsmom at 8:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I agree with the sentiments of the other replies: he can behave how he wants, it's his house, but I wouldn't want to be living in the same house with someone who behaves that way and I surely wouldn't want my child exposed to it. Kids learn by example, they copy the behaviour they witness. So I'd definitely be looking for a new place to call home. I hope that is a possibility for you, because that's no place to raise a child.

    Answer by judimary at 8:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I won't be able to leave for another couple of months. I grew up in a house that there was constant yelling and physical abuse. I have lived through it and know the emotional damage it does to a child. I even get upset and scared when he goes into crazy fits about nothing.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011