Need some advice on getting tubes tied.

I have 2 young girls and lately I keep thinking about getting my tubes tied. I do not see myself ever having any more kids. Sure, I would love to have a boy, but financially I would not be able to handle it so I really think getting my tubes tied is the way to go. Any advice or tips for going about this? Is it painful? How long is recovery time????? I want to know all about it from woman who have done it!!!! Thanks!

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• A vasectomy is way easier.   I think you are perfectly justified in wanting to not have anymore children wiht your history.  I also think you have done your share and now it is his turn.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You are probably too young to do this yet, it is not painful and recovery is not long at all. You never know what life has in store for you don't do it just yet......

Answer by older at 8:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Many Drs will not want to do it in your 20s but since you have 2 kids you might get them to do it. You don't say your age or your situation but life is long and undoing a tubal is hard to do. You never know what will happen, your s/o might die or you might get divorced and remarried. You could end up wanting another child in 5-10 or even 15 yrs. It doesn't seem like much now but it's true about that baby itch. It does come around after our kids are older and pretty much self sufficient. You might want to consider a longer term contraceptive instead of the pill but hold off on the tubal.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I don't regret having mine done 9 years ago but I can't speak for the recovery or pain because I had mine done several hours after having my last child...I had a small incision under(kinda inside) my belly button and that was it. My periods are more painful than before but they are lighter for me.. I have my period 3 days tops.. Cramps begin about a half a day before or the actual day I start and they are bad for that day only.. After that, its all good.. Most months I have little to no cramps but when they happen that are worse than before my tubal.. That's the only issue I have had...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I was going to do it after my 2nd was born but changed my mind at the last minute....I did get pregnant again and with twins this time! Believe I got them tied after that! lol But I had mine done when they were born during c-section so cant really say what recovery time would be like for just that but my doc told me it was about a week.
    Punkylu78

Answer by Punkylu78 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Oh and I was 26 when I had mine done..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my advice is don't do it!
    I've had so many troubles and pain since then. I really regret it, it's been so much harder to reach the big O since they did this, I could go on and on.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I got mine done in my 20's. I don't regret it either. They aren't that strict about guidelines anymore. The recovery for me was about two weeks. I did it after delivery.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I am more than old enough to have it done. I am 25 and I know I'm done!
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I had mine done at the same time my daughter was born by c-sec. It's a very simple procedure and recovery is quick and straightforward, but make sure you're damned sure before you do it. Reversals are possible but expensive and often don't work. So make sure you really really really don't want and will never want another child.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011