5 year old giving me stress

My son turned 5 on Dec, 7th. He has been very testy, he doesn't seem to want to listen to me, he likes to put his hands everywhere they are not suppose to be. When I try to put him in time out he thinks it is a joke and starts yelling no no no no, then starts playing and humming loudly. he likes to call me names like - pile of poop, doo doo head, stupid mommy, just to annoy me. he even does his daddy this way.
He hates taking naps cause he tells me that sleep is for night time.

When I go to stores he starts talking loud and then when i tell him to lower his voice he starts talking louder and louder. he loves to act like he is in his own world and we don't exist when he acts out. He hasn't started school yet, so I have to wait for next year for that. so not sure how much more I can handle.

sweetheart1207

Asked by sweetheart1207 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• my theory on spanking is if they cry, they dont feel it and it wont effect them at all. Sounds also like its time to stop taking him places since he acts up so much, you or dh will have to stay home while the other runs errands. if he doesnt like the taste of lemons or limes, give him a drop or 2 on the tounge when he calls you names, had to do that for ds and it worked decently. He might have out grown naps already, but you could stick him somewhere to sit down and do a quiet activity or watch a movie.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• He is finding his boundaries. Do you often times let him have his way to avoid a bad situation? Or do you always stick to your guns?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I try to stick to my guns, I tried to spank and popping hands but that doesn't seem to work, cause he just tells me I'm a stupid mom and that he doesn't love me anymore. time out is a joke cause he just plays around or laughs at me with the words no no no no. not sure what other ways of discipline will work.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• sure you're not over reacting a little?
    don't show that you are getting annoyed when he calls you names. as for the time outs, I did stuff like this when I was a kid. if I was supposed to be getting punished, I did all I could to keep myself entertained. Of if I got a privilege taken away I'd just figure out something better to do.

Now I'm good at making lemons into lemonade. Maybe he will too.
    Anonymous

• I'm not over reacting, cause he told me he loves to annoy me. their are times where I'm so stressed out cause he just won't listen to a word I'm saying. when we are at the park, i have to yell his name out like 5 to 10 times before he will look my way. if i tell him to do something he starts in with the words NO NO NO NO and then starts yelling at me. I even ask him to lower his voice and he ask me why, I try to tell him why and he starts yelling louder. I understand that in time outs he tries to keep himself from being bord, but the way he talks to me before and after time out gets to me a bit. I would like him to just calm down and not yell at me and listen to me a time or too, than not at all.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thank you Dreamangel06, the part about the naps sounds about right, I will try the quite activity or movies, my son loves anything sour, but he hates hot sauce, so I guess a good threat of hot sauce might hush him up for awhile lol.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011