I wonder if we can seek legal action?

So here is my issue. We bought our first house this past Sept. We had of course the inspection done and we were aware of a roof leak. We asked the previous owners to fix it and it was in our contract. Supposedly they had it fixed. They were not there the time it was fixed but just hired the guy who did the addition (where our room is and where the leak was) to do it for them. Now, we knew that there was a bit of water damage at the top from the leak and we were prepared to fix the sheet rock. Well, the roof was leaking even worse and its not the first time it did it. We finally took the sheet rock off only to expose panneling. I guess the previous owners put sheet rock over top. They are not the ones who did the addition. This house has only had 3 owners-we are the third.

Upon taking the paneling off, we found severe water damage to the entire wall including the framing and mold everywhere. They didn't even put plywood behind the wall (in between the siding and framing). I can literally push out separate pieces of the siding and see outside. We had bugs, ants, grass growing inside the wall, insulation completely damaged, water damage to the bottom portion of the frame work and water damage behind the siding! WTF???

we have our insurance guy coming to take a look but I wonder if there is something else we can do here. The roof WAS NOT FIXED!!!

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The above picture is grass, my ex's foot pushing the wall and looking outside, mold and water staines
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• sorry to hear that. I would guess you could do somthing. Bring it to court, they said they fixed it, were requiered to do so by contract and didnt, now hopefully they have to pay for the fixing plus the damages. Best way talk to a lawyer that knows about this stuff, good luck.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yeah I am thinking about finding one tomorrow. It just freaking sucks you know? The lady who lived here before us had spent money fixing up the room and it was the same guy who had done work before on the house with the original owners. I don't even know how they passed the city inspection and coding with it the way it is.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• was it not re-inspected after the inital 'fix'? it should've been. i don't know that there's anything else you can do at this point. unless you had a home-warranty (usually a 1yr-period)...maybe. after the repair/inspection, you should've been able to see that it was repaired, had a reinspection, and ok'd everything. if it hadn't been repaired to your liking, you could have AT THAT TIME, cancelled the buyer's contract.
    you might want to call your realtor, and have a looksie at your papers, in case you misread or didn't read something.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• We had him come back out because we questioned where he patched it up and they said "oh we fixed it no problem" and that was that! it's not just the roof leak that bothers me what really bothers me is how the hell this room even passed city coding in the first place.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Insurance should tell you want you need to do.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'd think you would have some legal recourse, but I'd get a lawyer just in case it's not some simple procedure. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Yeah I talked to one The seller was obligated to tell us of the previous water damage and problems with this room. We will figure it all out. thanks ladies.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2011