Breastfeeding

Does breastfeeding really make your boobs saggy?! I was planning on breastfeeding but a friend of mine said that they sag like the old women you see on tv where it looks like the top of their boobs have nothing in them..

CourtneyAnn8690

Asked by CourtneyAnn8690 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope, it's pregnancy that makes your boobs sag. Breastfeeding has nothing to do with it. So you can look at it this way: if your boobs are going to sag anyway, why not use them for all their worth and breastfeed your child?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• NO! hold your baby up to your boobs, or prop a boppy pillow underneath baby, and that helps! Besides, why should it matter when it's what's best for baby?
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 5:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my boobs sag...but that's because of the 2 sizes bigger they got when I was pregnant!
    Anonymous

• Your friend was misinformed. They say that pregnancy makes your breasts saggy, but after having my baby 6 months ago, my body is totally back to normal, besides having wider hips. Having a baby will hopefully change your outlook, it's not about you anymore, but your baby. Breast is best, even if it were to cause your body to look less than ideal, it should still be about your little one
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• No, if women get saggy breasts after having a child - it is the result of pregnancy, not breastfeeding.

Personally - I feel that my breasts look much nicer now that I am breastfeeding - they are still the same shape, just bigger!

And a word to the wise... don't be the mother who lets vanity get in the way of making the right choices for her children.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• A study was published last year where a doctor studied this. He found NO connection between breastfeeding and saggy boobs. He did find a connection between pregnancy and saggy boobs, and also smoking and saggy boobs. A friend who has an identical twin says that they both had 2 children, she BF both kids for 2 years each and her twin formula fed. At 45 their boobs look exactly the same! I think it is more genetic than anything, how likely you are to get saggy. Go ahead and breastfeed, it is good for your baby and good for you too (lowers your risk of breast cancer).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Nope...gravity and age make them sag.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I was always told that my boobs would sag from breast feeding but i didn't care, but my sister did, and her boobs sag worse than mine now and she didn't breast feed but mine only got 1 size bigger while breastfeeding and stayed that 1 size bigger until i stopped breastfeeding. And hers got 1 or 2 sizes bigger after she had her baby. So i think it has to do with how the size changes while pregnant and after having the baby but not necessarily with breastfeeding. And actually breastfeeding will keep them larger for a while when you are breastfeeding.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's pregnancy that makes them sag. And I won't lie mine have gotten extremely saggy and horrible. I would go ahead and breastfeed because your boobs will be saggy either way. You can always have them lifted after you're done having kids!
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding doesn't do that.I thougt the same thing, but the good stuff that's in the milk....I loved my son that much to want to breasfeed him. I think you should do it. The first day you should try breastfeeding so that you can see if he will take it. And if you don't feel comfortable breastfeeding you should pump your milk. The milk is really good. Good Luck!!!
    Moneshia

Answer by Moneshia at 8:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2008