U.S. adds formaldehyde to list of carcinogens

Here is a link to one news story  I do apologize, for some reason I cannot get the full edit features to work on my computer, if somone would link these for me I would greatly appreciate it!!  Probably vote you up for it too.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/11/us-usa-health-cancer-idUSTRE75A0KN20110611 

Link to the toxicology report

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/go/roc12

And finally a quote by doctor Offit  who said this in effort to ease parents fears about preservatives in vaccinations ‘Fortunately, formaldehyde does not seem to be a cause of cancer in humans’

Knowing that one of the ingredients used in vaccinations is a cancer causing agent, does it raise concern in your mind about the safety of vaccinations and the safety of the other ingredients injected into your child's body?  Do you think that this will encourage drug makers to re-evaluate how vaccines are made in hopes to make them safer?  Does this damage Dr Paul Offits efforts to increase vaccination rates?  Will you be discussing this with your pediatrician? In general, what are your thoughts?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 8:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• my thoughts are if the levels of formaldehyde in vaccinations caused cancer then it would be apparent since vaccinations have been used for many years. i am not sure if the government will force them to find a way to manufacture the vaccinations without formaldehyde. there is formaldehyde in many things we encounter every day.....from paint to carpet and many other things in our homes. it is only dangerous at certain levels which is why it's not a concern in vaccinations to me.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think that I heard from a doctor that there are at least more than one thousand substances listed as harmful for our health from color dyes use to make cookies to mercury used to make dental amalgams.
    About the vaccines Doctors will tell you that the amount of toxic substances in them is not enough to cause severe adverse reactions as FDA regulates and monitors these pharmaceutical products.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Princessbeth,

Cancer rates have been rising for decades. Same with autoimmune disorders. There has not been any study done comparing non vaccinated children to vaccinated children from the same culture group in order to see if there is a difference.... at least not by any one who would be deemed "credible" in the modern medical community.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• cafemomoftwo,

I would firmly argue with a doctor on the FDA regulations. The FDA lays proof of safety on the drug maker, there is no independent step where drugs are tested outside of the drug companies control. I believe this to be dangerous and unethical. Often times, the FDA does not get involved, or question the results of the drug makers, till AFTER there are problems.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Daughteroftruth ~I believe what your saying is correct. Our pediatrician took notice of vaccines being recalled due to "contamination". I just wished I know what the doctor was referring when he said the word "contamination". BTW thanks for the vote ups.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They have known formaldehyde is bad for you and causes cancer for years and years. That's
    why they made them take it out of the glues used in making mobile homes. This is just someone
    in this administration looking to get some credit they don't deserve.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The vaccines I know of recalled were due contamination in tge manufacturing process itself and not due to specific ingridients. Ecoli and others from contaminted machines and the medications at risk for having also picked up bacteria and other thrilling super bugs. It doesn't just happen to medications. I have had recalls on gauze and bandages. But hey, when companies want to have less regulation and cheaper labor, plus mark up on end price, that is to be expected. Moving manufacturing companies over seas to areas with very little regulation all around is the American way. No, I am not so concerned about the vaccinations containg harmful ingridients. I am more concerned with toys, bottles, clothes, cribs, carpeting, pressed wood, ect....basically our entire process to manufacture cheaper goods is what is killing us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• There are many ingredients in vaccines that could be harmful IF they were in high enough of a dosage, but they're not. I'll still have my son vaccinated. IMO, the benefits still outweigh the risks. The amounts of these things are usually so miniscule as to not pose a threat.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2011