I'm having the biggest problem potty training. How can I get this done fast and easier?

lmorga006

Asked by lmorga006 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all if they are under 2 it is just too soon. Why the rush! Kids need to have the language ability to tell you and the physical ability to control their bladder. Very seldomly do kids have this before 2, some not until 2 1/2 or even 3. If this is a big battle then chances are your child just isn't ready yet. Wait a few months and try then. Kids grow and develop at their own rate, not what we think.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 9:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Have you tried a reward system to get your child to go potty? That works with my preschool class
    RShilling

Answer by RShilling at 9:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• you can't get it done faster or easier, because it's not you who's learning. all you can do is encourage and express extreme patience, that is if your child is even truly ready.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• How old is your little one? I'm currently in the process of potty training my little girl, she's my sixth child, and one thing I have learned about potty training is it is SO MUCH EASIER if you wait until they are 3 or nearly 3 years old. They have better bladder and bowel control, they communicate better, and they are more aware of the socializing aspect of their behavior and actually want to learn for the sake of learning to go toilet. Also, you can often skip the potty altogether and go straight to the toilet which is so much nicer for you! No need for bribes, no frustrating waits while he or she sits there for what seems like hours, trying to "go". Honestly, a few more months of diapers is so worth it!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Wait until he turns 3. Stay home 3 days. Go right to underwear. The first day take him every 1/2 hour. The second day every hour. The third day he'll be trained. There will be a lot of accidents the first day. Stay positive. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• children are never to young my sisters little one is 18 months old an has been potty trained for 3 months so to quinnmommy its never to soon
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 2:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Agree, its never too soon, and back in the day, the average for being toilet trained was 18 months... not 2-3 yrs old. My mother had all 5 of us kids day and night trained by 18 mths old.

I have been putting my son on the potty during the day at home since 9 1/2 months old.

Patience is the key though... if you are not patient, you could make the child refuse to learn toileting for longer
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 3:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2011