Did your milk supply when breastfeeding go down when in a contraceptive pill?

Did your milk supply when breastfeeding go down when in a contraceptive pill? What birth control pill were you on? What did you do if it did? If you got off, did it go back up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does depend on the pill. It's generally recommended you try a progesterone-only pill while nursing so that it doesn't affect your supply. I had Mirena while nursing, which has the same hormones as the pill, and it didn't affect my supply. Breastfeeding is a supply-and-demand operation- your breasts will adjust to any shortage created by the pill. Some women find this more challenging than others, but for most women, the adjustment is made within a few days.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I breastfed my 3rd for a year while on a regular pill (not the mini pill - because I got pregnant with her on that). No supply issues.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• missanc: what pill were u on?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i took the mini pill and had no problems
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• There are moms who have reported no issues with the minipill, other moms who've reported issues with ANY pills. YAZ is a known supply killer.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2011