Books Books Books Books

Alright going to put the child to bed, just got some of the kitchen cleaned up (although there is more cleaning I should do) but I'm going to settle in soon & read the rest of my book (about 60pgs) Memoirs of a Geisha (awesome book!). Next book that I picked up at the library today Water for Elephants! Whos read the book? Was it good?

I havent seen the movie & usually dont really watch the movies or care to after reading a book. I do however, see previews for movies made out of books & go "that looks good" then rush out to read the book LOL

Another thing Eat, Pray, Love for those who read the book was it good? I saw the movie & expected it to be this awesome movie but honestly in my opinion it failed horribly. I'm willing to give the book a chance though bc usually the movies dont come close to as good as the books do. Just curious if anyones read that one & liked it or not! Thanks =)

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I read Water for Elephants...one of the rare books to make me cry....I havent seen the movie yet but I plan to soon =)
    One of my favorite books though is The Crimson Petal and the White by Michal Faber about a Victorian age street prostitute and her rise to the top...excellent book...I also thought the Hunger Games trilogy was great...I couldnt put the book down
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I have read Eat Pray Love and seen the movie. The movie was based vaguely off of the book. As it is with most book to movie films. i found some of what Elizabeth Gilbert wrote inspiring but thought a lot of it was just rambling. I read 3 books while reading that book because it was hard for me to get through. Maybe if I was a middle aged woman going through a divorce it would have been easier to get through. IDK. My MIL however is 59 and an avid reader and had trouble getting through it as well. Like I said it did have some inspiring parts and quotes. It just took forever to read. IMO of course.

MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 9:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I saw Memoirs of a Geisha and didn't get much out of it. Can you share a little more about the book? If not, that's o.k.

I started reading Water for Elephants but couldn't get into it so I quit. Maybe you'll like it though.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I liked the eat/pray/love book and I'm not interested in the movie....there is no way the movie can compare to the book and I want to remember the book and not the movie
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• zboys - the book Memoirs of a Geisha has so much more to offer then the movie. I however, have not seen the movie a long time so I dont remember everything that happened in the movie. I didnt want to put the book down though the detalis were amazing. I was so curious & interested in a world I had never learned about. To give you a brief overview its about a girl who goes from her simple life to becoming a geisha. The story goes on to tell all the details of this world & you follow the story of how this girl goes from a nobody to a top geisha. Its very real & you can understand how this girl feels & become invested in her life.

For me I love history & things of the sort. I picked this book off the library shelf by random & I'm so glad I did. I got so much from it & learned so much. I enjoyed it so much & recommend it to anyone. Give it a try & if you dont like it stop. I have started books & never finished them too before!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2011