Do you think it is bad to drink in front of your kids?

I seldom ever drink, if I do, it is a glass of wine or a beer. And my husband may get a beer when we go eat pizza but he doesn't just sit around the house and drink. And we do fun things like going to parties on the lake where there is drinking. My MIL who hates alcohol told my husband that he needed to quit drinking and quit going places that have it and stay home and be a parent to his daughter and that he was setting a bad example for his child. I don't really agree with this because my parents were heavy partiers growing up and like I said I seldom drink. I think they made me not want to drink! Just wondering others opinions! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think it is not good to be drunk in front of your kids, but i don't see a problem with having a 'grown up drink' as my 6yo calls it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If i do drink in front of my son it is very rare, I tell him drinking is bad for your health, so he knows not to drink. so i think it depends on how much you drink and what drink it is.
    sweetheart1207

Answer by sweetheart1207 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• To have a glass/beer here & there I think is actually good for the kids. It shows them that drinking can be done in a responsible way. Of course being drunk or chugging one glass/beer after another is not good & will teach them that its okay to drink that way. When it comes to drinking moderation is the key & America neglects to teach our children that so when they do become teens all they do in chug down their alcohol. Other countries do it & have way less drinking problems with their young adults then we do. Just saying.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think that yes and no. On one hand, setting a healthy example with alcohol in front of a kid leads to healthy habits later. Also alcohol is clearly a cultural boundary, in Europe it is quite common to give children a small glass of wine (fyi not advocating this just stating a fact). However if someone were to be an alcoholic they likely wouldnt be aware, and I think drinking to deal with emotions or life is a very bad example to set in front of kids. I also think some ppl just can't handle their liquor and those ppl shouldnt drink around kids. Lastly if you drink to get drunk every time I think thats unhealthy bc it shows kids that you cannot drink with discipline and sets up for alcoholism later on. Otherwise no. Alcohol is not the devil, its the responsibility of the user that needs to be looked at. as with most things.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• no I don't dh does it. I don't drink much
    proudmom717

Answer by proudmom717 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• As long as it's not to excess and you're not falling down drunk in front of your kids or using drink as a way to escape issues, I don't see a problem with it. To me, it's the same as being careful not to do anything to excess (eating, spending money, etc.). As parents, it's our job show our kids how to be responsible in everything we do - the best way we can do that is by our actions.
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 10:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you have a glass of wine or a beer here or there that's fine maybe you can get the kids sparkling cider and then they can act like a grow like u so maybe they will understand but only if they are older
    momofsextuplet

Answer by momofsextuplet at 10:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• When I was growing up,my dad was an alcoholic!!!!! I remember all the bad times!!! There r 4 of us siblings and 2 r drinkers/partiers,the other 2 never touch the poison!!!! So I would say yeah it is bad to drink in front of the kids!!! I remember how stupid all the drunks acted!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I don't drink at all...I think is disgusting. I get so mad at DH when he has a drink. So therefore, YES I think it is bad to drink infront of your kids. I don't want my children thinking "Mommy and Daddy are alcoholics." My parents never drank around and I'm glad, I think because I was never fully exposed to it so I think that I was never really apealed to drink because of that.
    trublonde130

Answer by trublonde130 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It depends how much you drink, if you are sitting on your ass chugging beer after beer then of course you are setting a horrible example as a parent. But every once in a while, like going out to dinner and having a margarita or a beer is not a big deal. Your MIL is being ridiculous.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011