I know some people are into unique names

But how do I keep from laughing at what my cousins just named they're new baby? Thor Aurelius,I just can't say it without laughing. He's a big baby and dark blond with blue eyes so I guess maybe it fits for him but I just can't help but feel it's like naming your kid Captain America right now.

Please I want to be nice when we go see them and I didn't manage it last time someone in the family used something off the wall.I know it was a Norse god before it was a superhero but even as a Norse god it sounds like a lot to live up to and I won't even start om Aurelius .

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• my nephew is named jamal which i don't really care for so i just call him by a nick name i made up. he likes it and i do too lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thor? That's just silly. Poor kid. Have you ever seen a doctor, lawyer, professor, successful business man named, THOR? Um, no... he's destined to be a body builder or something. Oy.
    Anonymous

• poor kid :( But eh the parents chose... I wouldn't personally call my kids that
    proudmom717

Answer by proudmom717 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I actually like the name. I prefer names not generic and conforming. And just think....they are so probably glad to be Emmaed or Isabellaed out. I am not so fond of boring find three or four just like it names in your kindergarden class. They provided their child with a strong name that by your accounts suit him. I see no reason to laugh.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• poor kid smh lol
    thats why I stuck with an old fashioned plain name "Emma" :)
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• We got cornered by family for our choices being to common. But I still like Matthew it's got a beautiful meaning and I know several doctors,lawyers etc named Matthew.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Lol not Thor lol I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh! I like creative names to but...damn
    well I bet he's beautiful! You never know HE MAY JUST BE A LAWYER OR A DOCTOR OR THE NEXT PRESIDENT! I mean just Look. Obama has an odd name and look he's president and a smart man so....you never know:)
    Its better than Barthelomew lol
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Mine and my youngest sister have names that aren't too common--Sonya and Dulcy. My other sister's name is Jessica. In elementary school one year, there were 3 other Jessica's in her class. It was confusing at first and they quickly worked out nicknames for everyone. My 3 DSs were given names that aren't as popular as Jessica. Their names are Eric, Jason, and Peter. Many people asked us what made us choose the name Peter? When we saw him for the 1st time, no other name seemed to fit HIM. Now, we are expecting baby #4. We hope to find out whether we are finally having a girl or having another boy. When I hear a name that I like, I bring it before DH and my DSs. One of the names that I liked was popular and 1 DS knows several people with that name in several of his classes. I don't want my children to hate their names and go before a judge to change it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• At least they spelled it right...
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• There are more 'weird' names in my sons' classes than traditional names. It's not so unique when 20 kids out of 25 have hard to spell, hard to pronounce names.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011