Is there any actual science to the theory of the "Pregnancy Glow"?

You know they all say "Oh she has that Pregnancy Glow!" - when none of us (as I have heard" felt like we glowed our way through pregnancy...

Soooo - is this just a saying, or do women really radiate the appearence of health and glow through hormones/whatever during pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It could be due to increased blood flow during pregnancy. IDK?
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i've always heard we glow...me and my boyfriend went to visit his mom and she told him i was pregnant, when he asked why she said because i had a glow in my eyes...and a few wks later i found out i was actually pregnant!! i think there is something that we personally dont see that other people can
    angel_lips

Answer by angel_lips at 5:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• In my pregnancy book, it says something about the "glow" having to do with our hormone changes making our face tone different. Kind of a darker patchier something....idk if that makes sense to you, but I do definitely notice mine. I wear two different color foundations throughout the year. I wear a tan color in the summer, and a very pale color in the winter (usually starting in Oct or Nov.) but this winter I am still wearing my summer color bc my skin tone is darker than normal.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• your body is producing more collagen and keratin. it's science stuff
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Your body makes a lot of extra blood when you are pregnant. This can make you look kind of flushed. With my twin pregnancy I thought I looked sunburned or really embarrassed about something.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008