Snorting like stuffed up nose

My 5 year old son, keeps snorting though out the day and night, like his nose is stuffed up. I tried to get him to blow his nose, but nothing comes out or he not blowing right. just annoying when he does it. I mean he does it like a lot. He says he can't help it. should I take him to the doctor to get him checked out? he does have asthma, could that be part of it?

sweetheart1207

Asked by sweetheart1207 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• it sounds like he is having sinus problems and suffering from post-nasal drip. is he coughing sometimes too? my 6yo has problems with it. i use saline 2x a day when it is bad and he has to take claratin every day to keep his allergies somewhat under control. you could take him to the pediatrician to confirm since he has asthma you might want to double check what meds. may work better for him. (but claratin is also good for my 3yo who has asthma)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• He has been doing this for over a year, I told his doctor a year ago about it, she said everything is fine and that is normal. but I don't see how that can be normal. I have been giving him dimetapp for his allergies since he gets them a lot. he is also allergic to pet dander. does have a stray cat that he took in, but try to keep outside. was going to get claritin but didn't know it was for 5 years old, cause the ones I have seen are for 6 and up.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• the claratin childrens chewables are for age 2 and up. they are grape flavor. he would get 1 a day. i would just discontinue the dimetapp since it is not working. my son had a different (prescription) allergy medicine that didn't work. actually it was a nasal spray and gave him frequent nosebleeds. i switched to the claratin and it really helped. some people respond better to some medicines. it may take you a couple of tries to find one that is good for you. i agree with you about it not being normal. he is having sinus problems. the saline will also help too. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would try to irrigate his nose with a nasal aspirator. He will not like it, but it might help. I suffer from PND and irrigation really helps.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• As a trained nurse I wouldn't recommend giving your son any meds without first talking with his doctor... the reason I caution about using medications without consulting with his doctor is the OTC medications you could give may be unnecessary, cause drowsiness or may even aggrivate the underlined problem further.. It could be a range of issues from sinusitis, allergies, or even an issue with tonsills and/or adenoids Or, could be as simple as a "bad habit"..Hope this helps.. Good luck!!
    Mamaof7

Answer by Mamaof7 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• thank you all for the anwsers, I will defiantly talk to his doctor about it again. I hope this time she tells me something bsides it being normal.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you have already talked to a doctor and didnt get a good response tak to another... Doctors are wrong and make mistakes everyday or sometimes choose not to do anything. Type of insurance has a big part of this I promise, seen it first hand in billing & coding and with my own doctor. My daughter had issues snoring. i could see how large her tonsills were & after a few cases of tonsilitis i asked our PCP to look at them.. She insisted there was nothing wrong & sent us on our way, I took her to another doctor where I demanded I consult with and ENT.. I got it & after being in the room with the ENT for 2 minutes we had a date for surgery..after which the ENT came out & said her tonisills were a stage 4 ( HUGE lol) but her adenoids were some of the biggest he had ever seen.. Anyway like I said he is YOUR son you know better than anyone what is normal for him & what is not! Dont give up!!
    Mamaof7

Answer by Mamaof7 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thank you Mamaof7, I will look into that.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I've had my asthmatic son on zyrtec since he was 2. I think it is the best thing since an inhaler. He may just need a nasal decongestant, you can get them OTC.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 11:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thank you Wmbeener
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2011