Can I make the adult step-children (20 and 25) move out of my house and back to their mother's house?

They have lived here full time for 6 years. I will be living in our house while my husband is gone for 2 years. His kids and I have never liked each other. They don't do anything around the house except play video games and make messes. Can I evict them while he is gone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Give them written eviction notice - yes, you can kick them out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• 20 & 25? I'd have their bags sitting outside the house and I'd change the lock... but, that's just me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• if it is your house you can evict them. give them a 30 day notice. who says they have to move in with their mother?? they are grown ups for goodness sake. they need to start acting like adults and stop mooching. you are doing them a favor.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Oh my goodness, I would have asked them to leave a long time ago ha ha. You have been very patient to allow them to continue to live with you all this time. I would give them a heads up and ask them to find a place within 30-days. Good luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• What does your DH say about it?
    KendallsMommee

Answer by KendallsMommee at 10:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My goodness they are grown,tell them to get a life ,so you can have one!!!
    jbaby7162000

Answer by jbaby7162000 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• So instead of discussing the situation of your step-children w/ their father/ your SO - you're going to wait til he's out of the house(country?) for 2 years and then give them the boot?

I see divorce lawyers in your future...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Where is your husband. It sounds like his lack of backbone may have caused this whole situation. I would not necessarily move them out. But establish expectations and jobs. His action if they do not meet them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• They could be living on their own by now, they could even share an apartment etc.

. I would help them on their way! LOL Heck yes you can legally get them to move out.

Written notice (like others have said already).

Are they vindictive at all?

Just curious before I would recommend 'how' to get them out.?

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Change the locks and tell them they have ONE WEEK to pick up their shit before it goes to the dump
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 1:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2011