UGH! How to stop the nasty talk!

My 4.5yo DD has started saying gross stuff like today she said "my butt itches" so concerned i ask her why her reply "because I want to stick my butt in your face *giggles*". And she has generally been saying less than sweet/ appropriate things like that.
What do you say to that!?
I told her it was gross & no one wants to hear stuff like that! But she has started the "im a bad daughter, im horrible" thing!

I expect booger talk. farting humor (she went thru a phase where she farted on us) and other stuff like.. But this is rather RUDE and gross..
HELP! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow....no...I never let my girls act this way. I mean, there's being a kid and needing to have fun and be yourself and all of that but some things are just OFF LIMITS. That's all there is to it. You set the rules. Once she knows her place and what's not allowed and why and that there are "consequences" for saying rude, bad, gross, inappropriate behavior.....she'll follow through. Kids are like training puppies in a big way...if you just let a puppy go..he will pee & poo all over everywhere, chew things up, tear things up, bark, whine...just be a holy terror. So, what do we do? We TRAIN them the way we want them to act with rewards for good behavior and consequences for bad behavior. IT'S THE SAME concept with your children. Yes, it takes extra effort but...I promise you...IT WORKS. My girls were always well behaved and knew how to act and they were still very happy kids. No farting on people, no boogers, no saying butt
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've always been told the easiest way to stop behaviour like that was to ignore it....my 4 yr old went through a phase when she was cursing all the time (I slipped up and watched a few tv shows I shouldnt have while she was in the room) the more I told her no, that her language wasnt acceptable, ect, the more she did it...once I started ignoring her, she stopped, now she's my sweet little girl again =) Hope you find the answer...good luck mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• What female role models or characters does she look up to. We explained to my daughter that "princesses" don't do that and it worked. We can also get her to model her behavior after her cousins
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 10:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Give her the better word you want her to use, don't just say that is bad.
    wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 10:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The first thing to do would be, if she has a babysitter or a relative of yours that watches her for you... try to find out if she is learning those things from them. Maybe she is getting it from another preschool-aged friend or something.
    shestands4truth

Answer by shestands4truth at 11:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• ...start now...it will pay off big time!! It does take time, patience etc to work with them. Kids NEED guidances from YOU to know how to act, behave....don't forget to tell her how proud you are when she behaves great! She will learn to want that from you!
    That's all I can say ....I try to make it simple. It really is.....we're so conditioned today to think that if you don't let your child run and be wild then you're not letting them enjoy childhood and you're a terriblel mother. I say that's BS!!!
    It couldn't be more wrong.
    Best of luck to you! i know that kind of behavior is frustrating. Put an end to it now or you'll have a teenage daughter one day who farts in class and laughs about it ....like boys do. It's not ok for either to do that even if it is a natural function of our bodies. JMO..and I know I'm a stickler. Mine are 17 and nearly 20 and they are def 'young ladies'. I'm proud of all my hard work! Whew!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011