What would you do?

My ex and I are very active in our children's school lives, trips, class volunteering etc. Today we both attended a trip to the park, he brought his 3 month old son, left him in the car seat, in the stroller, parked the stroller sleeping baby and all and walked away, ran after our 5 year old son, did not check on the baby at all. I could not stand his lack of concern and checked on the poor little guy. We were there 2.5 hours, would you tell the baby's mother? I am really questioning if my ex should be left alone with a baby or child if he does things like this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I were that mother, I would really appreciate being told. It may hurt your relationship with him. That's dangerous behavior. If the child is hurt, you will wish you stepped in.

If he had responded with concern, maybe I wouldn't tell the other mother. But since he responded with apathy and disdain toward you, definitely tell her.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2011

• His is your X and you stated that you two do things together...

Why can't you talk to him yourself...

Why stir up some pot and run to his wife, when he is right infront of you doing this?????

Talk to him...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• well the baby was sleeping right? and i'm assuming he was within ear shot range...imo it's not a big deal. i might have looked at the baby now and then but usually i rely on listening.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• did the baby sleep the whole time?
    traren

Answer by traren at 11:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Not your kid not your problem...
    Well I would make my voice loud and clear to him...

You two have children...how he treats this baby is a reflection of who is it...

Stick your foot up his @@@ again and again, make it clear that his actions are not safe...
    Talk to him like he is a child, so many men don't like to be told what to do....

If I did see him do it again.....well then I may have to stir that pot.....GL
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Id let the other mom know. Put yourself in her shoes. If that was your baby and someone knew that dad was doing this wouldnt you be upset that that person didnt feel it was your right to know? Id want to be informed about everything that was happening with my child. Sure, I would talk to my ex about it BUT I would also tell the mom. When it comes to the care of my child Id rather be over-informed than under-informed
    rosepetal209

Answer by rosepetal209 at 4:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It is a HUGE park, the baby is a little guy with a tiny voice, I doubt he could have heard him over the activity at the park even if it were not a large park. I did speak to him about it he said not my kid not my problem... he split from the mother of his son as well. To me it's a big deal, today it was 85 out, a hot car seat left alone, to me it seemed very terrible, other mothers were as concerned as I when they realized the stroller was not empty.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree, you should have walked over to him and said something. The real queation is did he just know it was the babies nap time and he or she takes longs naps...could he have heard if the baby started crying? Or maybe you were close and he seen you checking on him...? Just saying....I don't know him or you but if this is the "worst" thing you have ever seen him do...I would leave it alone.
    JenAndCarter

Answer by JenAndCarter at 11:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The baby did wake up, crying, my ex did not bat an eye in his direction, he was sweating allot, I ended up picking the baby up and taking him to his father, it was the first time I have seen the little guy, he yelled at me for picking him up, I just could not stand by and leave him crying and sweating in the car seat. He put him back in the stroller, propped a bottle and walked away.

I did not leave my children alone with my ex when they were under 3 because he never pays attention, rarely changes diapers etc. He had supervised visits with our youngest until recently because of this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Tell the other mother. And tell your ex that what he is doing is unacceptable. He obviously does not understand or care about taking proper care of his baby. I would worry at what time he neglects your daughter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2011