When discussing baby names, did you ever like a name that your DH didn't?

DH and I have been trying for a baby. And of course we are discussing how we'd like to do things. Cloth diapers, breastfeeding, me staying at home. You know the important things, but then there are the baby names. I love the name Swayze-Ann Marie (not from Patrick Swayze) for a girl. My husbands name is hyphened (Ritz-Tyler) and so we decided we'd hyphen our kids names. I love unique names. Names that no other child would have. My husband doesn't care to much for Swayze though. How do you decide? I mean the name is just sticking. I like the sound of it I just wished he did too.

dsadang

Asked by dsadang at 11:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Baby Names

• Yes and no.

I like to think I'm a writer so years before I got pregnant I had purchased A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman. When I got pregnant with our son we each went through that book and wrote out all the names we liked, independent of the other. Then, we sat down together and gave each other our lists. If I wasn't fond of a name he wrote down I crossed it off, he had veto power though if he just loved it. He did the same to my list, and I had veto power too. Before we started we noticed we had about 5 names in common, but went through the lists anyway. We wound up choosing my son's name from those five common names. Neither one of us was really attached to any names so the negotiations went fairly smooth.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• well, me and my husband have this philosophy when it comes to names. i have to carry the baby (i do not enjoy being pregnant), put up with the aches, pains, sickness, worry, dr. appts., etc. so i get to name the baby. i am nice and consult with him, but the final say so goes to me. luckily we agreed on all of them though! i didn't have to exercise my power lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• OMG... just about EVERY name I suggested he HATED! lol. I dont remember how it came up, but we finally agreed on Emma. I think he chose it. It started out as Emily I believe, but I have a close family member named that so we decided on Emma, then he chose the middle name, Kayleen :) It took a long time to decide though!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I really liked the names Ruth and Tobias. My husband used his veto on both of those (Ruth too old lady; Tobias he just didn't like, but he got a free pass since I did concede that since I already used the name on my bass guitar we couldn't use for a child. Think about these things when naming your guitars, ladies!).

I vetoed Kermitt and Kandice. No way in H-E-double hockey sticks!!

I would ask him if he would be willing to not-say-no yet. Don't ask for a yes, just a promise to not-say-no. Maybe it will grow on him, too!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If he can not give you a very good reason for not liking the name he may have to live with it. My DH and I agreed not to reuse family name of those that are living, or anything that belonged to an ex. "I just don't like the name" was not good enough. Hence we have Nicholas Talon, I picked Nicholas he picked Talon; Willow Grace, I picked Willow he picked Grace; Zoe Ashlyn, I hated Zoe and he did not like Ashlyn. I love all their names now. It's their name not yours and not his.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 11:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I swear picking the names was the hardest part of having a baby. My ex-husband and I went through the name books several times before we could agree on names for our 3 girls. I wanted to name our oldest Star Marie but he wanted to name her Alexandra so we compromised with StarMarie Alexandra. Then, I wanted to name my 2nd daughter Selena but we went through hundreds of middle names before finally agreeing on Selena Dominique. My youngest didn't even have a name until she was 3 hours old. I wanted to name her Shelby Lynn (keeping with the "S" theme) but he just wasn't having it so we finally ended up with Victoria Rose. Even though it was a difficult process trying to find just the right name, I love the names we chose and I'm sure you will, too. I would suggest that you both pick out 2 or 3 and make the final decision when the baby is born. Usually a certain name will stick out once you've seen the baby. I hope that helps.
    sweet_krissy

Answer by sweet_krissy at 11:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• A bunch of them. I love Vivienne - he hates it. Same with Lorelei...and countless others....
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Dh and I were complete opposites as far as names were concerned, all the names he chose, I didn't like at all and vice versa. We ended up looking through our old year books, we both have a bunch of them, just to get ideas for names, we finally agreed on one, but it took just about the entire 9 months.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 11:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I appreciate everyone answers. I would reply to each and everyone of your posts but I'm not sure how to. Can someone explain to me on how to answer back?

dsadang

Comment by dsadang (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My Bf barely likes any girls names so we r having constant arguments..lol but he picked grace and mackenzie as 2 he really liked so now her name is probably gonna b isabella (my choice) grace (his choice) i do have a few friends that said u can name the boys and ill name the girls lol..my SIL and Bro each picked a name and put them together also jocelyn(SIL) leighann (bros pick) so just talk it out im sure something will stick out. i love the hypen idea tho:)
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011