Homeschool: Propaganda Vs. Reality (Shattering the myths) - VIDEO

Thoughts?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• really good to see
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• One on One education is always better than 25 to 50 on one! I just don't have it in me to home school. All home schooling mommies have nerves of steel!!!!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The only thing I found surprising about the video was the "myths" at the beginning.

Homeschoolers as a whole excel by the very nature of who is drawn to homeschooling. I don't mean bright kids who are bored with school, or religious families, or kids with specific learning disabilities, or any of that. I mean kids with parents that are involved with their kids, and are going to do what is best for their kids.

Public, private, or home-schooled, these are the kids that - as a whole - excel.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Homeschoolers as a whole excel by the very nature of who is drawn to homeschooling. I don't mean bright kids who are bored with school, or religious families, or kids with specific learning disabilities, or any of that. I mean kids with parents that are involved with their kids, and are going to do what is best for their kids.

Answer by KateDinVA 10 minutes ago
    ----------------------------------
    My kids went to public school....many schools... because we were an Air Force family and we were transfered all over every two or three years. THey did so well and they all have college degrees. I think it was because we were involved with their education and I was a SAHM . I was always there for them. I honestly think they got an excellent education in all their schools...much better than I could have provided for them
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I loved being home schooled.

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 11:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My husband and are ' degreed ' and well-educated but we would have trouble homeschooling our daughters ( ages 11 and 13 ) to the levels they are already attaining at school , especially in the sciences . I know of no-one personally who homeschools and the only ones I have met online seem to homeschool for religious reasons .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• They left out the part where the kids in homeschool want to learn. In any classroom in the US there are at least 10% of the kids who don't care, and another 10% that prolly don't show up. It's easy to teach kids to pass standardized tests when they are always "at school" and forced to learn.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Finding an educational model that fits the child is the key. I am a public school teacher- I support education period- I do not care what form it takes as long as its effective for the child-
    I was surprised by the "myths" as well- interesting video-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It's very nice and pretty, but we all know homeschooled kids do well in stuff, that's a stereotype too "homeschool kids are pushed hard by parents who homeschool because they are super-ambitious for their kids and they can force them to work harder all the time". That didn't handle any of the myths I've heard (even that myth- I believe many home-schooling families do the work in the same or less time than a traditional school)

--Homeschooling doesn't socialise kids properly (mostly untrue, but it didn't tackle that myth. It's one main reason I don't homeschool, my social anxiety wouldn't allow it)

--Homeschooling perpetuates religious fanaticism- I'm not sure about that either, but I hear it from 99% of people who discuss HS

I love my public school, I love my child's teachers, I love the fact that I don't have to try to keep my 2, 4 and 6 year olds all entertained and motivated at once. But HS is good too. No one fits all
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• @Tracys2

I think they did address those myths, but they didn't identify them as myths ... which I do think they should have done. I think the #1 objection people have to homeschooling that they think kids are un-socialized hobbits who cling to mom and dad, and don't know how to interact with people. (Of course, I've also heard that it is bad for HS kids to learn how to socialize with people of different ages including adults). I would have liked to see them name those myths at the onset ... they could have made the video flow a little bit better by saying which articles busted exactly which myths.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2011