Do you think its okay that my df uses weed to self medicate himself?

I'm asking this anonymously, rather than posting it in a group because I don't want myself or my df bashed. I'll try to make this quick. My df has really bad adult ADHD. He struggled his whole life with it, struggled through school, couldn't focus or concentrate and doesn't deal with stress well. At just 4 years old, his parents had to get him a set of real keys to play with and swing around because he couldn't keep still. He still to this day has to stand up and walk around for a minute when he's on the computer or watching TV. He was put on Adderall XR (30 mg) about a year or so ago and WOW did it help him a lot. He could concentrate, sit still, and think about one thing at a time, rather than his mind racing a million miles a minute. Unfortunately, Adderall has side effects. He had a very poor appetite, couldn't hardly eat anything, couldn't sleep at night, it made him sweat, made his heart pound, and it also caused him to be more irritable and angry than usual. He finally decided to stop taking it and turned to weed instead. He did a lot of research on it, and found out that smoking just a few hits of weed was helpful for people with ADD/ADHD (and in states where medical MJ is legal, its prescribed for ADHD because its proven to help). He says it helps him almost as much as Adderall did, but without any of the nasty side effects. He doesn't smoke to the point of being fried..just enough to calm his mind down and relax. The only thing is, its not covered by insurance here, so it costs him more money than a prescription would, and I don't know..I never minded it ONCE in awhile, but I don't know how I feel about him using it as a regular medicinal remedy. I know its completley natural and WAY more safe than any prescription they have like Adderall or Ritilan, but I don't want our boys having any clue about it, and I just feel kinda weird about it. IF my df only uses it to truly help himself and is very careful about keeping it away from our boys, so you think I should be supportive of it? Please have an open mind, and be respectful and honest. Thank you!

*Just a note..medical mj is not legal where we are yet*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Being the mom of a child with severe ADHD, I have researched mj as I had read several studies on how well it worked with ADHD. If it were legal in our state I would try it, it has far fewer side effects than the meds he takes and has taken and had to take more meds to help with the side effects. It's not like your dh is going to be a pot head, he's trying to help himself focus. Is there any way he can get a medical permit for it? I'd ask his doctor.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't agree with using weed recreationally, but for medical purposes I'm all for it. My husband was dying of an auto immune disease and he was on over 15 medications. Once he started mj he was able to stop taking about half of the prescription meds and felt a ton better. The side effects of the scrips were horrible, but he had no side effects from mj. He was really able to enjoy his last few months of life. I completely support the medical use of mj. If it helps your fiance, then don't ever feel bad or ashamed. It can significantly improve people's lives and if shallow minds can't comprehend that, then they are not worth your time.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Honestly, I think weed should be legal. There are many things that weed has helped with, and I'm glad some states at least recognize it. I think because of the constant bad rap it goes, that's why it makes people apprehensive. Alcohol does more damage than weed. If he's not abusing it, I don't see a problem.
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It is so much better for him than Rx meds. It is not addictive (physically). When smoked in small doses there are hardly any side effects. Depending on your state, the laws are usually not enforced unless you are distributing or growing. My vote is "go green"!
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Uhhh prescription drug companies don't want it legal because it's so easily obtainable they would lose a ton of money. Purists admits it. It's a threat to the almighty dollar. And ther is a MJ pill that doctors prescript cancer patients so they eat.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If there was something out there that helped my husband so significantly that he would risks getting it illegally then I would seriously consider moving to a state were it is legal. I know moving can be a big deal, but think of all the negative things that could happen because he is using an illegal substance in your home. I would read up on your local laws and find out everything you can about it.
    You should also look into the use of mj in pill form. My HIV clients used to use it to help with their appetites. Maybe you can get something like that from a doctor in your state. A pill would be more discreet and the boys would never know about it, plus it might be covered under your insurance.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Your last sentence says it all. If it's not legal in your state, this create a huge problem in the future. In his case, perhaps it is the best choice but until it is legal, I would say no.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The pill is called Marinol and it seems to mostly be used to help nausea in HIV and cancer patients. I would still do a lot of research and see what you can find, maybe there is something that will help you husband that isn't smoke related..good luck. I think you should support anything that helps him to be a better husband, father and person.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• If its legal in your atate than I see nothing wrong with it. My DH has chronic back pain from falling off of a roof while working and he has his mmj license and medicates for it. We live in Colorado though and its legal here.

Mrs.Gallegos649

Answer by Mrs.Gallegos649 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• is it legal where you live? that is important. if it is illegal i would not support it. if legal, then it's medicine.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011