What do you know about gluten free diets?

CcCwgrl

Asked by CcCwgrl at 11:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My DH has been gluten free for close to a year now. He hasn't been tested for celiac disease, but it has really helped out his digestion.

It's not too difficult to go gluten free, but you have to check labels and ask at restaurants. Lots of foods are available, especially in the health food aisles at grocery stores. They haven't come out with a good substitute for bread we've found yet, but the pasta is not too bad.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'm on one, but since I can't go back to gluten, I call it a lifestyle change. What kind of info are you looking for?
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My grandmother has a severe gluten allergy. When we visit she has a separate toaster and butter dish for us. She almost died when the hospital gave her Tylenol because there is gluten in the binding or something. Luckily it is becoming easier to find gluten free products at the grocery store so she doesn't have to spend $12 for one loaf of bread!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Besides it being a necessary lifestyle change for a person suffering from celiac disease, it is often beneficial for those (particularly children) dealing with cerebral allergies (delayed food hypersensitivities that manifest themselves as ADHD and autistic behaviors).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• It can be hard to deal with because one crumb can cause the same level of reaction as a whole loaf.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2011