With all the drug problems in today's society; do you believe that substance abuse is a disease and runs in families?

cindyfitz

Asked by cindyfitz at 11:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• I always thought that it was...alcoholism for instance....if your father is an alcoholic and your mother is an alcoholic doesnt that mean it's more likely that you will also be an alcoholic? I kind of thought that it was common knowledge
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes, I believe it is a disease and can run in families too, genetically predisposed OR as a result of being exposed to it at home.
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 11:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• it is a scientific fact that some people are genetically more susceptible to addictions than other people. so yes, it is a fact that the propensity toward substance abuse can be inherited.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Agree with princess beth! She took the words right out of my head!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I know it is. My DH's father was an alcoholic. ALL but 2 of his 9 children are or were alcoholics or drug addicts. You can't grow up seeing that, being exposed to it day in and day out and NOT be affected. I have struggled with it, and again, it's in my family. Genetics play a part too, most people who turn to addiction do so out of a need for "help" for depression, anxiety, stress, or other issues... Of course it's not a deliberate search for help, but an accidental one that goes to far... I'm sad so I have a drink - then 2 - then 3 - then before you know it you can't function without it... And drugs are no different. Not to mention all those who start because of actual medical conditions and Rxs. My husband was put on Zanex for Anxiety and then his doctor dropped him, so he turned to street drugs because he couldn't function and because the withdrawal from the Zanex was so bad... It landed him in Rehab...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes, I feel that addiction is a gene.
    wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 11:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Without a doubt it runs in families and it's the genitics and environment. But I also think that families can work together to get sober together. I never thought would see my father sober and he is on his second year free and clear of alcohol. It is wonderful for him and has encouraged both myself and my half sister to get on the wagon with him. I hope that I will only be passing on the the genes to my children and not promote the bad behavior!
    Laurenlover

Answer by Laurenlover at 11:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes, addiction is hereditary. That is why I refuse to drink (much, an occasional drink once a month or so is fine for me), smoke or try any type of drug. My grandfather was an alcoholic turned perscription pill addict who ended up dying from it, my uncle is now an alcoholic and I fear an aunt is as well (both children of that grandfather). On my fathers side, my grandpa and grandma were both huge smokers, grandma quit a long time ago, but my grandpa finally quit when it was too late. He has had 1 lung transplant but the other needs it too :(
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• monkey see monkey do.... the way I see it is if you don't like how your family acts then break the cycle... note that I don't believe this to be easy but however, doable. I did or I'd be drunk a hell of a lot.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 10:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2011