How can i get my 3 yr old son to stop using his pull ups and start using the potty?

Krystal070208

Asked by Krystal070208 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• stop giving him pull ups. let him go without underwear/pants around the house until he is fully potty trained and then he can work on pulling up undies, then add the pants too. make it clear that he will be cleaning up any messes, and stick to that. it works great....all the kids i used that on were potty trained within a week
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• have you tried taking the pull ups away? either stop buying them or hide them where he cant find them and only give him his underwear to wear? good luck
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Get rid of the pull ups. I have never heard of a child that has been potty trained with them. Get some undies and go cold turkey (at least at home). Set up a reward system or find your child a role model (child his age that is potty trained to motivate your child). Let him pee outside. My son loves watering the bushes!
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would try letting him go throughout the day without any pull-ups and see if that works. Every child is different of course. You could also try a reward system; such as a chart with stickers- letting him pick out a sticker to put on a chart each time he uses the potty. Then some type of a reward such as a special day w/mom or dad, pick out a movie to watch- whatever his interests are. The only thing I wouldn't do as a parent is reward or bribe with food. You could even ask your child what he thinks would work. You might be surprised! Good luck...
    cindyfitz

Answer by cindyfitz at 11:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• use the sinkers they have for the toilet and make it a game and my mother says i use to go potty in pull ups so my guess is they dont work to well
    mimoo0528

Answer by mimoo0528 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• That's a tough one. Does he seem interested at all in the potty? My son is 3 1/2 and is barely doing really well going potty in the toilet. I told him I would get him cars (McQueen, Mater, Filmore....) if he would continue to go potty and poo on the toilet and he's been doing awesome, except the other day he had two accidents in his underwear. Someone told me to go shopping with them and let them pick their underwear out and they like to wear them more. Make it fun for them. Not always easy huh? My son screams sometimes because he has to sit on the potty. Ugh.... maybe it's scary for them? Sorry, hope that helps. Oh, and someone told me that this mom put all kinds of fun things in a basket and put it on the back of the toilet and every time her child went to the bathroom on the toilet, they got to pick something out from the basket. I don't know if that would work with my son, but it sounds really good. Good luck!
    HappySam

Answer by HappySam at 12:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• buy him some cute little power rangers underpanst or something like that. Then when he wets himself, he won't like it.
    Ihearthorses

Answer by Ihearthorses at 7:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Every child is so different, He may just come around when he is ready
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2011