Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Help with depression

I get terrible thoughts alot like thought of me being no good, never amounting to anything, & hurting myself. Now I actually don't believe is hurting myself so I would not do that but sometimes the feeling of loneness is too much for me & I end up staying in bed & be grumpy to my children. I have bold face lied when asked if I hear voices & get thoughts like this.. :( it was out of fear I lied fear that my children will be taken from me for what ever is wrong with me. It is my children that keep me going. I want to get help so I'm not so emotional but I am terrified.. thought ideas suggestions? please no bashing I would never hurt my children so that will never be an issue if I really feel that bad I will put myself in a time out..


Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • You said that your children keep you going. That's all the better reason to get some help. Go see a doctor and see if they can give you an antidepressant and a psychologist to go to. Just remember to do this for your kids, they need you and you need them.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Tell your Dr. how you feel, it's nothing to be ashamed of, maybe he can give you something to take the edge off like paxel . If your depressed your not helping yourself or your kids. I 'm treated since my DD was killed, I take medication just to keep me fuctioning and on an even keel so to speak, it's nothing I'm ashamed of and I need it to get thru the day. Do talk with your Dr. and get the help you seem to need, you've made the first step, you've admitted you need help and are depressed. Now on to step two and talking with the Dr. Good Luck.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Sweetie, if u r hearing voices in your head, u r niot just suffering from depression, its a strong possibilty of u r suffering from a form of bipolar disorder. In major depression, u suffer from what u described about feeling worthless and the irritability and the occasional thought of wanting to harm yourself to hearing voices, put u on a whole new level. So it goes without saying u need to seek some help, and do not be afraid to tell your doc, thats the only way u will get the proper help and feeling better about yourself and life in general.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I agree with the other moms. Please seek some help from a good doctor or therapist. There are some wonderful medications that will truly help you with this. Been there, done that. There is hope.

    Answer by Ruthmom802 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Here is a link u can go to from webmd that u can take these 'quizes' and see what type of depression u may have, and from there u and your doc can talk about it. Just be completely honest with it though.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Actually, it doesn't sound like you are bipolar but possibly have schizophrenia along with poor self-esteem. Getting help doesn't mean your kids will be taken from you. That's only if someone else reports you or if they see you're neglecting/mistreating them. You can see a psychologist/psychiatrist on your own and it doesn't involve custody of your children at all. If you're separated from your husband though, I wouldn't tell him about your personal counseling or he may try to use it against u. I'm speaking from a legal perspective. But don't stop this from getting help. It sounds like now is the perfect time to get help since it doesn't sound as bad as it could be. You know u want help and that is already a good sign! Make the first appointment and keep going. It can only get better. A good mother thinks of consequences of her actions and of her children and that is what you do. All the best to u. You can do it!

    Answer by hellokittykat at 1:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • A psychologist or psychiatrist can probably pinpoint exactly what condition you have and just think! You're one step closer to getting treatment and getting your life under control!

    Check this out to see if you have these symptoms.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 1:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I think you are majorly depressed. I have suffered with post partum depression with both of my girls. It's debilitating. When you say voices do you mean you just think things like that? Because sometimes I do that too and I literally have to force myself to think of something good. There are good days and bad days but you should really talk to someone. It helps.

    Answer by ajbrownies at 2:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Your medical records can only be viewed by your doctor and the people you release it to. Anything you say inside a doctors office is strictly confidential by law. As long as you don't put anyones name (husband included) on the privacy statement/release form your diagnosis will remain confidential. I say this because you, by your own admission need to get professional help! Do not waste another day of your life in misery. Stop making the people that care about you unhappy. If you just talk to your doctor, you will get help.

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • @Anon.....I hope u read this.......Anyway, if u take an active part in your recovery u take the meds your psychiatrist (recommended BTW, most medical doc don't have the experience with mood disorders), CPS can't take them just because u have a mental disorder. The Americans with Disability Act protects u from that, other wise it is discrimination and I am sure CPS will not want a lawsuit brought against them. The government frowns on stuff like that.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2011