Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What rights do I have as a 16 year old mom?

Im 16 and a mother and i want out of my house. It says i cant get emancipated in Ohio the only way i can move out is to get married or join the army. My babys father isnt aloud around because of my mom. I want to be with him so that we can raise our son together because we love each other so much. My mom treats me like crap. I have been raising my 4 year old sister since she was born because my mom partys all the time. Idk what to do. Shes emotionally abusive to me to the point that i cant take it anymore. She threatens me in so many ways. I want out! i need help! Please help me figure out what to do.

Answer Question

Asked by charity_gamble at 12:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Are you in school still? Talk to a guidance counselor... they can help you do some research and probably have information that can point you in the right direction. You can also call a crisis center in your area, they can get you some help. Good luck.

    Answer by Tarrar at 12:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Call a lawyer.

    Answer by mrsziemann at 12:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • If she's sixteen she probably can't afford a lawyer.

    Go to the courthouse and ask for family law assistance. It should be free and they will tell you what and how to file.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • A lawyer can still give her advice on what to do. I didn't say get a lawyer, I said call one. I'm not a moron, I know she probably can't afford one.

    Answer by mrsziemann at 1:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I think you made a mistake and need to live with the consequences of your actions. How exactly do you plan to support this baby? Do you have a job? Does baby daddy have a job? Are you still in high school? Maybe your Mom is not thrilled about having to raise your baby. Oh let me guess you will expect the government to give you assistance. I don't even think you can rent an apartment at 16. Where exactly do you plan to go?

    Answer by jcm62497 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Don't you know family law attorneys charge for consultation? It's like $300 an hour. My ex did it. They don't give advice for free.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • @jcm62497 If you had read the question, she has already raised her sister for her partying mother so mom isn't raising anyone.

    That's an Ohio based teen help line. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction. You need to do what's best for you and your baby and it seems that your mom will not help you do that. You have my hugs and prayers.

    Answer by MamaStuart at 9:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • jcm62497--- Try READING the post before making rude comments, because if you did you would have read that the OP has raised her 4 year old sister because mom is more into partying than being a parent. So, I am thinking that mom is not worried about having to raise her grandchild but more about losing her daughter that is already the parent to a 4 year old. Mom doesn't want the responsibility of her children.

    OP: Family attorneys DO offer free consultations, I know that is how I knew what to do for some issues I was having. You can also talk to a teacher or school counselor. I wish you all the best because you sound like a very level headed young lady. Ignore those on here that will bash you without reading your post and just assuming things about you because you are a teen parent.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Thanks for the help. And for the rude comments just go away. if ur gonna be rude go somewhere else. i have a job, im supporting my child. Im still in school, i wanna graduate. i dont wanna drop out, i wanna be a good mom and give my son the best i can. I cant even talk to my mom because she just screams at me when i try and have an actual talk with her. I know that bein a teen mom is hard and not the best choice, but i dont regret it and ive pretty much done it for the past 4 years. My sister calls me mom...its that bad. I really dont know what to do father has no rights over me but i talked to him and im goin to the coourthouse to tell them i wanna live with him. Its the only way for me to get out of this place. i love my mom to death, but for some reason shes recently just been the worst mom alive...thanks so much for the help tho i really appreciate it

    Comment by charity_gamble (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • and i have talked to a lawyer, they said since i havent lived in ohio for 6 months, im still concidered livin in west virginia so i can get emancipated. But i need out with my dad would take less than a week. Emancipation would take months.

    Comment by charity_gamble (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.