Can someone help me to see other value in flossing?

Aside from the obvious facts like it's supposed to remove stuff and plaque stuck in between your teeth, every time I floss, I don't see anything being removed and there's never a lot of friction. I feel like it's a waste of time every time I do it even though I've been told that it's what you're supposed to do to help prevent plaque/gum disease. I also wonder how flossing is supposed to help if you have slightly spaced out teeth because wouldn't brushing clean out everything in between since nothing is technically "stuck" ? Have always wondered about this so thought I'd ask. Only serious answers please.

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 1:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• I definitely see the difference. But, even in the teeth I don't see, there are small bits that you are scraping off. Do you just stick the floss between the teeth and then come back up (like I used to) or do you pull the floss against the base of the tooth and scrape upward, then do the other side (in the same "slot")? You have to create the friction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ozFU7-sTA&feature=related
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You can't feel bacteria, and flossing removes bacteria from above the gumline, where they're most likely to cause cavities and periodontal problems.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• well the reason u do not have anything between your teeth is cause u r flossing. I bet u stop for a week or so, u will know the difference.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• yeah I tried that once, stopped flossing for a while and still saw no difference either way.
    hellokittykat

Comment by hellokittykat (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I use the C method, pulling the floss around the tooth on one side and pulling down in a curve to the gumline.
    hellokittykat

Comment by hellokittykat (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• And you don't feel friction when you do that?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2011