Is suicide a forgivable sin?

In the church I was raised in we were taught that the only sin God can't forgive is suicide. The reasoning given was because you are dead and to be forgiven you must ask for forgiveness. Do you believe this is true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just want to say I hope you are not thinking about suicide. Are you ok? Please talk to someone close to you. Call someone.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• i do. i think that if u commit suicide ur chicken sh*t anyways. there is always help available, its whether or not ur willing to get help.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I do, yes I believ it is unforgiveable but then I always ask what if this person was really sick mentally? I ask that question because when I was 16 one of my best friends named Anthony hung himself in his shower with his belt (I still think about him all the time and it has been a little over 9 years, not to mention he was buried the day before my 17th birthday) Anthony had a bad mental illness and I guess I hate the thought of him being anywhere else than heaven, but at the same time, he did commit a HUGE sin! I just wonder if God is more forgiving because the person is sick rather than someone who lost their job and feels death is the only way out?
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 2:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• hmmm...funny. i was taught that the only sin god would not forgive was not beleiving in christ. i'm baptist. i don't beleive god could forgive someone for murdering thier child and not for murdering themselves. it just doesn't make sense to me.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Well, as I have gotten older, I have come to realize this is one only God himself can answer for us. I had a dear friend of mine committ suicide due to medication side effects. It was so tragic. It was the worst funeral I have ever been to. He was 22. Everything to live for. I had just seen him that very evening. He shot himself in his bedroomm one door away from my daughter and my new baby granddaughter. I don't think of him as bad.I just miss him dearly. Unfortunately, his meds were responsible. I do thank God that he didn't take out everyone in the house though. Not for us to judge.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• As someone who has lost someone to suicide, I beleive that yes, God will forgive. Yes, I know that many believe this is not true, but something I have learned is this: someone who takes their own life is sick. They really are sick. They really do believe that if they take their own life, they are doing everyone else a favor. They think that they are helping the rest of their loved ones out. As for getting help, yes, there is help available, but people need to realize that someone who wants to end their life is going to find a way. In my eyes, God is going to realize that these people have a disease and that they are not right in their mind when they do this. I believe God will forgive them. (Sorry for all the gibberish...hope you understand)
    My2Midgets01

Answer by My2Midgets01 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• This is the one and only unforgiveable sin: Matthew 12:31-32 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32)Anyone who speaks a work against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him: but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come."
    We recently had a very close family friend to shoot himself in the head with a shotgun. This man was very mentally unstable at the time. The man that killed himself was not the man we knew. We have struggled with his death and with not knowing where he will spend eternity. Him being unbalanced at the time is the one thing we try to hold on to. My DS has Down Syndrome. When he dies, do I think he will go to Heaven, even though he has never made the choice to accept Jesus Christ as his personal Saviour? Absolutely!
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 5:23 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• All sins are forgivable. A vengeful God who will fault you for committing any sin is not worth of praise.
    kellietinsley

Answer by kellietinsley at 5:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• CONT...Our friend was not able to make a rational decision. My son will not ever be able to reach the age of accountability, therefore he will not be able to make a personal decision to accept Christ. I don't think there is any difference. If it is suicide for other reasons, ie: to get out of going to jail, looking for the "easy" way out, etc..., then I don't think suicide is forgivable. In the past I have struggled with depression. I have attempted suicide. I believe with all my heart that I would have gone to Hell because I *knew* that it was wrong. I think it really depends on the person's mental status on whether or not they will be judged on it.  Sorry this is so long!! 
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 5:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• all sins are equal in right. god sayes he does not see the particualr sin just that we have sin. and suicde is hard because you can not ask forgivness so im undecided
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 6:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2008