Advice on how to keep eye glasses on a 2 year old??

My daughter has been diagnosed with Strabismus eye disorder. Specifically "Accomodative Estropia". Her vision is actually great, it's her right eye that turns in when she looks at objects that are close and she is a little farsighted in the right eye. The doctor recommendation is that she wear the prescription glasses at ALL times except for bathing and sleeping. He is hopeful that the glasses will correct this problem within a few years......OK. That's great news I know, just don't know how to keep glasses on a child that won"t even tolerate a band-aid for more than 10 minutes. Would appreciate any and all advice.
I am " new" here so thanks in advance for your help! =)

iylasmommy

Asked by iylasmommy at 1:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter got her hearing aid when she was two and it was hard getting her to wear it. Be extremely persistant. Put them on as soon as she wakes up and put them back on her as soon as she takes them off. I would tell my daughter if she wore it for an hour then she could have a "treat" whether it be a special snack, watching something on tv or whatever. A little bribe, yes. I'd lengthen the time she'd have to wear it and make a HUGE ordeal over how awesome it was that she wore it for *so* long. She's 4 and a half now and she remembers her hearing aid everyday. It's kind of like a part of her. She knows she needs it and that it benefits her.
    Good luck. Be persistant. Be rediculously proud when she wears them for any length of time.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thank you so much dmdblleb.....I appreciate your response so much and I agree.....CONSISTENCY. It has to be something that we do not negotiate.....glasses on in the morning and off at night. I will encourage her with little "bribes" and hope that the efforts we put in now will help to correct this. I will definitely use the time strategy along with the treats at first......then her doctor said to treat her wearing the glasses just like we do walking out the door or playing in the garbage. Do you let her walk out the door or play in the garbage can? NO, no, no, no. He encouraged us to use the same discipline.
    Thanks again, we are getting her glasses Wednesday.
    iylasmommy

Comment by iylasmommy (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You're welcome. I'd also talk to her about wearing them. Tell her why she has to wear them and how it's benefitting her. She's young but she may understand more than you think.
    I don't bribe her for wearing her aid any more and she knows she no longer has a choice on wearing it. It hasn't been an issue since she was about 3.

Do you plan on getting those little strings/straps to hold them so she doesn't lose them? Let her pick out what color. My dd has stickers that she can put on her hearing aid to change it up.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• My daughter has a stretchy band that slides on to the ends of her glasses, they are called Kidz Banz I think. It goes from ear tip to ear tip around the back of her head and holds the glasses on. Keeps her from knocking them off. You can also order kids glasses with extended ear tips that reach around the back of the ear in a loop...again, wont keep them on, but will keep them from falling off accidentally.

My daughter HATES her glasses, and they are SO heavy and SO expensive...we gave up and tried contacts when she was 5. I have to put them in for her, but shes SO much happier. You could ask your dr about contacts if glasses are a problem.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2011