What if i have a kid and she wants to live with her dad and i want her to live here.

alexis99229

Asked by alexis99229 at 2:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• if her father wants her and the enviroment is ok then you need to let her go. She will quickly learn that the grass is not greener and may want to come home or she may do well and stay, either way, if you dont let her go she will resent you and possibly have her father take you to court..It's not the end of the world, my son moved to his dad's at 15, I was devastated at first, then realized I got to be the fun parent now and his dad was stuck with the creepy teenage daily life
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:21 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I've worn your shoes. My son met his father when he was seven and immediately put him up on the pedestal. For the next 3 years, our son wanted to live with his dad. I was opposed to the idea, knowing that his father wasn't ready, but went along with it because I didn't want to be the reason my son didn't know his father. 3 years in a row he went, only for me to get a phone call from his grandparents telling me I needed to send for him; his father had dropped him off and hadn't been back for weeks. I always brought him home. When he was 11, he went to live with his father again, this time for 2 years. He came home for visits. After two years, my son called and asked if he could come home. I asked why because I vowed I wouldn't let him come home just because he was mad. His answer - cuz it's better for me to live with you. Patience and understanding, it all comes back around. Best wishes!
    MyasNanNa

Answer by MyasNanNa at 2:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You do not have to let her go. Until she is 18 if you have residential custody she has to stay with you or apply to be legally emanicipated after 16.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 3:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• most states allow kids to choose where they live at age 12. If she wants to, she can ask her dad to file for custody and the judge will listen to what she wants. She does NOT have to wait until she is 18
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I agree with shivasgirl. She absolutely does NOT need to wait until 18 to decide. The vast majority of states will take a child's preference into consideration around age 12-13 as long as there is no reason not to such as drug abuse, etc. The mother not wanting to is usually not considered a valid reason to deny a custody switch.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Why the what IF? Do you have a child? Are you not with the father IF you do have a child? Why not cross that bridge when you come to it.?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I'm in that situation now. My son, he's 14, decided he wanted to go live with his father last year. I made him wait a full year before I consented to it. He's old enough to make that decision. I have set some ground rules, like if his grades drop, he starts getting in touble, etc. he is coming home and we won't talk about it again until he's eighteen. His father has to maintain one residence, food in the house, and support for his eduction and communication between the households about ds. I let him move down there May 30th.
    JaniceMc27

Answer by JaniceMc27 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011