How soon can you give a pacifier to an exclusively breastfed baby without having to worry about nipple confusion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be the first week or the fourth month~ or anywhere in-between...
    If you can just avoid a paci that's great.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I gave my babies a pacifier at day one. No confusion at all. I was told that pacifiers are good because they may help prevent SIDS deaths.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i saw once on TC by some pediatric dentist that pacifier could hv bad effect later for the bb and that are usually unknown to parents... so it can cause problems such as poor and slow weight gain... and it may introduce cavities to the baby's teeth :s ...
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 5:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Nipple confusion is a myth. Never seen any evidence of it, and I know a LOT of breastfed babies.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• All 5 of my kids were given pacis in the hospital - I breastfed the first 4 for a year each and then the 5th for 6 months. No confusion.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• All three of mine got a pacifier in the hospital and I have never dealt with nipple confusion.
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2011