Is this right? Managers at apartment complex.

So we have new managers for the 3rd time and we also just had our rent raised. Now you would think they would step it up a bit to make things good for they're tenants. Well it looks like they are not really. When my husband went in to complain about the issues in our apartment like mold starting to grow, old cabinets chipping on the corners, and a 20+ old dishwasher that the door will not close. The lady threw the corporate"s number at him and told him to complain to them. Okay? I thought that was they're job. What surprised me today is that when I went to check the mail the manager was locking up the gates to the pool. She was telling someone else that some kids were horsing around and she decided to close the pool. When the person told her that those kids were not even tenants here the manager said it doesn't matter and that she will continue to close the pool until she had order around here. Funny thing is she started working her a week ago. I have lived here a year and the pool was never closed for that lame reason. They would close it for cleaning but usually they would just kick out someone or something like that and that was rare. So basically we all can't use the pool now until she feels like it. Maybe I should have a little chat with corporate? I mean I have long list of other things going on too. I mean really! Why are we paying more when things are going downhill? We would move but we just don't have the money right now. Do we have any rights here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I am affiliated with the 3rd largest property management company in the US, and let me tell you, CALL CORPORATE!!!!! Your manager's behavior is unacceptable and ifyou don't say anything, she will continue to get away with it. If you are in a lease, rents cannot be raised until renewal of your contract. That's why you have a contract - you are expected to pay a certain value for a certain period of time, that can't be changed. A month-to-month basis is a different story, no such option and rents can change at will.
    Look up on the internet to find out landlords obligations according to your states laws. Believe it or not, most states favor the tenant. Where I live, if information is provided in writing ( a MUST), the landlord (property manager, etc) has 7 days to respons. If the situation is critical, contact your local housing authority, they will step in and make the owner correct the issue(s) or will be fined.
    MyasNanNa

Answer by MyasNanNa at 3:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You may want to get a handle on that mold problem. It's not safe for you to live there if there is mold growing. Try washing it down with bleach, and if corporate doesn't send someone out to find out where it is coming from soon, report it to the health department. They will cite the owners for maintaining an unsafe building, and probably tell you to get your family out of there. Then you will have something in writing and the courts could make the landlord pay your relocation expenses.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Call corporate and ask them what responsibilities your resident managers have.
    ~Who you're supposed to speak to about repairs, general use of the property that you're paying for, and about complaints.

Have the boss tell you what to expect so you can get what you need.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Make a written list of the things to be corrected in your apartment, send it to corporate with a copy of the management couple. I would also copy the local agency in your area that deals with landlord/tenant rights.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• "to" the management couple
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2011