Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does anyone know how to help with grieving of death?

my grandmother passed away 3 years ago and my grandpa is taking it hard ..soo hard he just isnt the witty,laughable,happy guy he used to be and it breaks my heart .. hes the only person i look up to in this world ... i just wish he could be happy again :( im trying not to cry writing this ... sigh .. is there a book i could read to him or he could read ? kind of like those marriage books that help good our your marriages ..sort of like that ..something life changing ... i love him soo much he is like a dad to me .. he really needs help

Answer Question

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Relationships

Level 14 (1,572 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Bless you for your concern for him. Look in your area for support groups for older widows/widowers if he would go to one. Visit him lots and try to get him to go to family functions etc with you as much as possible. There are therapists who specialize in working with bereavement and working with the elderly--see if you can find one and encourage him to try them out. Talking to a flesh and blood person will probably help him more than a book.

    Answer by GrammytoTrin at 3:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • What a lucky man your grandfather is! Losing someone is like losing a part of yourself. My son passed away 12 years ago and I thought the world had ended. But I took a look at my faith and I looked at my part in his life as a gift. I cherish all of our memories and smile at all of the good and bad, it's what made us who we were. I was granted a wonderful gift, the gift of sharing my son's life. Help you grandfather remember the wonderful memories that he has, live and share them with him. We are all granted the moments of sharing our lives with others, fulfilling each other with joys that will last forever. I agree with GrammytoTrin, personal contact, not a book, is his way thru his loss.

    Answer by MyasNanNa at 3:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • try calling your local Hospice,explain the issue,they may have a referal. Also try calling United Way 211
    God bless

    Answer by RobinChristine at 3:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Get the family and friends to visit him as often as possible. Call him, take him places. Send him letters in the mail, that tell him how much you love him and what he means to you. If he has grand children get them to do the same.

    Answer by sweetangie79 at 4:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • No sorry I have never been faced with knowing any one who died in 38 years

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.