WHY ARE PARTENS AFRAID TO TELL THEIR CHILDREN NO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think it's because we have completely lost the concept of what parenting is supposed to be about. Parental responsibility includes establishing authority in the lives of their children and then transferring that authority to others as it becomes necessary. I think it's the primary reason there is so little respect shown in schools, in sports, to the elderly. Today's parents want to be friends with their children and they don't want to risk having their children not like them or to be mad at them. It's very sad, because if you want to have a good relationship with your children, you have to teach them first and foremost to respect you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• WHO? I'm not!
    Anonymous

• Not "today's parents" as a whole...this bull started with my parent's generation. I tell my kids NO and I have to stand by that as gramma goes behind my back and undermine's my authority and I get "he is so precious...you should let him have it". WHAT?!? So I get to be the bad guy? It isn't an issue if you establish rules and are consistent with them. I expect respect. I expect that other people respect the rules that I have for my family. That's just me....

SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 6:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't know, I have no trouble telling my kids no, they hear it a lot.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have no issues saying no...I have issues with getting them to listen, haha!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008