Leaving your baby for the first time.

I just had my son 8 days ago and couldn't be happier. I plan on taking the full 12 weeks off that I get, but can't help but feel nervous about leaving him for the first time. I need to take a certification exam before the 22nd of this month and just can't even imagine leaving him for a few hours this early. Was it hard the first time you left your baby? Any advice?

K_Coleman

Asked by K_Coleman at 5:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is hard - the first time you leave your baby for a couple of hours - I won't lie.

But - make sure the babysitter (I assume your Mom, or son's father?) -- knows exactly what to do but your_rules, and tell them to keep their phone on them so you can randomly phone and say "is he okay? Is he okay? Is he okay?" - every 5 minutes. ;)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I totally agree with ladysavage. Its going to be very hard. so i hope you have someone watching him that you trust 100000% ;) I remember when my mom was watching our daughter for the first time.that little munchkin was 2 or 3 months old already and i dont trust or have more faith in anyone else than my mom. BUT is still called her at least every 7-10 minutes and asked where they are and what they are doing and if the baby is alright. my mom was so annoyed. haha... but its a tough one leaving your child for the first time.

but you will make it. there isnt really anything you can do.. cept form calling all the time. haha... we all have to go through this once or twice or more.. haha
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I had a midterm to take when DD was 11 days old. It was the only school I did for 3 1/2 weeks even though it was my senior year of college. Luckily I delivered right before spring break.

I left her with a great friend who had a daughter a year older than mine. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I cried all the way to my midterm. My teacher noticed that as I was handing in my exam, I couldn't even operate the stapler and then took pity on me because she knew it was my first time leaving my daughter.

My only real advice is to give yourself a lot of time. It will be hard to make yourself leave on time.

Good luck on your exam.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 6:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• you know, i thought it was going to be harder... and surprising it wasnt. We went out to dinner when our son was about 3 weeks old. We made the deal that he would only be left with either grandparents, and you know, he's 5 months old and i feel totally comfortable dropping him off... granted, now its so much easier. But lately I find me wanting to take him with me, even when they "offer" usually they just want grammy or nana time lol so mondays my mom gets him, and one day on the weekend, nana gets him. But i was just worried he would miss me, i knew that people who were with him, loved him as much as i do, so it wasnt that hard.. Good luck, on leaving him for a few hours, and your cert.!!!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It was very hard....I could even stay focus on what I had to do. I kept on calling and calling to see what and how he was doing. But to be honest you shouldn't get scared or nervous, because you have to leave him with somebody you really trust and that will and will take care of your baby!! You will get over it sooner or later I did.
    Moneshia

Answer by Moneshia at 8:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• it not that hard unless you are bfeeding..

i left my daughter she was 1 month and pump my breast milk for her and went to doctor and my mil look after her. and if i was not back in time my mil will give formula. I did both formula and bfeeding.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My daughter spends the night with her grandparents every Friday night. It was hard the first time that we left her with them. We were only gone for about 2 hours, we went to go see a movie, and missed her so much, but then we started dropping her off at least once a week, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for the whole night. Grandma really loves spending time with her and wants to make sure that my dd knows her and is always comfortable with her. I still miss dd when she is over there, but I don't worry so much now, because I know she is safe and that Grandma loves her immensely.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2008