How do I get my 2 yr. old to sleep more and have less tantrums?

My 2 yr old is not sleeping at night, constantly coming over to our room and crying. He sleeps maybe 1-2 hrs during the day. He also has explosive crying tantrums. I am at my wits end, I don't have a clue what to do. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him back to bed with no talk each and every time. Do not give in. Being tired could be causing the tantrums.
    It is up to you to teach him. Be consistent. You may think it is easier at the time to give in, but being consistent will pay off in the end.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Set a clear routine, bath, brush teeth, drink of water, say goodnight to the family, use the bathroom then tuck them in. Tell them you love them and it is time to sleep. Every time they get out of bed, put them back in don't talk yell or lecture. Re- enforce the good behavior with praise and a special activity or their favorite cereal. Show them that good behavior is worth it.

mama04inID

Answer by mama04inID at 6:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I agree with setting a routine. I know that sometimes my 2yo gets over tired and has a hard time falling asleep and staying in bed. I would say every couple of days this happens and he seems to calm down when I sit with him and rub his head and back until he falls asleep.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011