Anyone have an under active thyroid? Or hypothyroidism?

Well I have, it was actually found when I was pregnant, apparently the TSH level should be 4, when I became pregnant, my TSH was 15 and with medication and frequent checks, this was brought down to 3.5. I had another blood test last week after feeling very tired and sicky, and I was contacted earlier by my Doctor who asked to see me, as my TSH is now 35! Anyone else have this? I'm a little nervous about going to see him! I know he'll explain things better, but I'm still nervous! 35 is a big jump up from 3.5!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 6:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Health

• I was just told by my Neurologist who noticed a slight swelling in my neck...I never noticed anything. He felt it and said he wanted a Thyroid test done by my family MD ??...So, other than my weight gain of 15lbs that doesn't seem to budge...I am in the same boat as you are and I don't know much. I wish I could help you....here's a link I found though:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5064025_do-high-thyroid-levels-mean_.html
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• no but i think i do. can't lose weight like i used to. gained 25 lbs within months without changing anything.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 7:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• i have had the same thing for 20 years. mine will go up and down alot. the doctors just change medicine all the time on me. BUT make sure you take the meds because it does make a difference later in life. i am finding that out know with some medical issues i have now and i am only 43. not severe but not nice things either. the thyroid has alot to do with everything a female goes through in life so make sure you take it. hopefully i can help in any way. let me know
    billiedevos

Answer by billiedevos at 7:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I do. It is important to get a good doctor that will listen to you and work with you. Especially when you are trying to get the right dosage. your thyroid numbers are not the only deciding factor that you thyroid is working correctly and you need to be proactive in finding a doctor that feels that way. We are not all text book cases. Once you are on the right meds you will feel better. The weight may not fly off, but you will feel much more human. Best of luck.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I have had hypothyrodism for about 15 yrs now. Mine goes up and down all the time. I sometimes have to have mine checked every 3 months because it doesn't want to regulate. They put me on different meds for a while then check it and then readjust my dosage. When I start feeling really tired bitchy & really run down then I know it's time for a recheck. Best of Luck to you.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I think I have the same thing. As a teen, while having a physical for school sports, the doctor noticed the swelling and told us to have it checked. I didn't have insurance at the time so I didn't. Then as a young adult, I saw an ad for a place that checks your iodine level as an indicator for free and they suspected me of having it but again, I didn't have insurance so I couldn't take the blood test. Then I became pregnant (and on state insurance) so I asked to be tested for it, but they said the numbers were normal. After my pregnancy, my mother was diagnosed with it. In the next pregnancy, I asked again to be tested, again they say numbers were normal. Now I've learned that pregnancy can disguise the condition so I plan to take it again after I have this baby. I have insurance now so that won't be a problem anymore.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You should go get a blood test done mrsary, GL.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2011