Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special needs dentistry?

I was wondering if mothers with special needs children specially mothers with children with mental disorders can tell me where do they take their children when they need of a dentist? Most dentists will refuse to see children with special needs due to the complexity and time involved to evaluate and treat. Are there any programs in your area dedicated exclusively to help children with disabilities specially children with mental disorders when it comes to dentistry?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • The first person I called about a Special Needs dentist was my son's Developmental Pediatrician, his office gave me a couple names and Dr Jensen's was one of them, I called all of the names I was given and all of them recommended Dr Jensen as the person to see.

    Answer by Jenniy at 4:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • I forgot to say that after seeing 3 dentist from my dental plan and been told that my insurance would not cover for the "extra" help. We finally found a hospital that has a department exclusively dedicated to children with disabilities. We could not felt more relieve of finally knowing that our child is now getting dental care. The hospital is billing the insurance and the insurance has agreed to pay.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I was able to find a dentist that specializes in Special Needs patients but also sees other kids. He's about 30 minutes away from my town but it's worth it. He is WONDERFUL with both of my boys especially my special needs son. My 6yro (non special needs) had a bad experience with a dentist in the past and Dr. Jensen had him laughing and smiling and excited to see him again after the visit. I highly recommend him to anyone with kids that lives in the Battleground, WA area.

    Answer by Jenniy at 7:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I am not sure if you live in a big city but i would call around and see. or maybe contact someone at human services that can help you. I am shocked that these dentist do not see special needs kids. I think that is just awful.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • Where are you at? I am in Northeast PA and there are a couple dentists that are wonderful with children with special needs. My own son's dentist for one. But, a lot of parents take their children to CHOP (Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia) for their dental care.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 8:27 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • I'm in NYC. The hospital I was talking about is located in the Bronx.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • We have several special needs children's dentists in our area. Some use sedation, others have a private room, etc. I found them through word of mouth by way of the local Autism Society.

    Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • My son has Autism, and he sees our regular family dentist. You could try a children's dentist, as they specialize in children and might be more familiar with special needs issues. Your best bet would be to call around and see if there are dentists in your area that deal with special needs.

    Answer by MizLee at 12:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2011