HELP me please

I am watching my kids three cousins for at least a month.
But we are having problems with the little girl. She thinks that she can hit and talk back. She talks really mean to and at people. She talks like a 16 year old instead of a 6 year old. It is at the point that the kids dont want her here at all. They tell me after this that they dont want to see her again. I am not sure if I can handle her intill July 7th.
Please help me. I need some advise to get peace in this house while she is here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• if she is in your care you have the right to discipline.. ie putting her in a time out or telling her what shes doing is wrong etc .. tell ur kids that what shes doing is wrong and try to ride it out till the 7th... my 7 yr old cousin is the same way and his mother doesnt do jack about it .. so ive limited the time btwn them.. i know this is hard bc u have to watch her during the day.. i would start disciplining her more like she was my own kid ..maybe then shell get the picture? if not drink alot till the 7th... jkjkjk
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Put your foot down right off the bat. Kids test everyone. Right after she mouths off or hits someone I'd say EXCUSE ME (her name)! WE DO NOT HIT OR TALK TO PEOPLE LIKE THAT IN MY HOUSE! Say it in a firm and angry voice to let her know you mean business. If it's for talking back tell her that's her warning next time she'll go in time out or the corner while everyone else plays. And the hitting, immediate sent to the corner then after the time up ask her if she knows why she was put in time out. Let her answer and you explain why that's not ok and ask her if she wants people to hit her. And tell her we play nicely here we don't hit people. And tell her if she does it again she'll be sent to take a nap. And only kids that listen get treats/snacks, and get them icecream or something later(something small). If she doesn't listen she doesn't get a treat when everyone else does. Let her know you're the boss not a 6 yr old! Good luck!
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I agree, you need to tell her we don't hit, we don't talk that way, and use time outs, is she the oldest? Have you talked to her parents? A six year old didn't learn how to be sixteen from no where,, zperez has a good point!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• You actually have a lot of power. If she likes your kids, you can tell her "If you are nice and don't hit or talk back, they will play with you. Otherwise, you can read a book or something by yourself". By age 6, kids usually want to play with friends, and their peers have a lot of power. Tell your children what to put up with and what they should NOT allow. Tell them for instance that if she hits them, they say "we don't like to be hit. We are going to play by ourselves for a while". You might even allow them to lock her out of a room they're playing with, even if normally you wouldn't.

They can reinforce what you're saying. That will make them feel in control and like they are helping, not like they are "just kids who have to put up with everything". If everybody insists that she behaves nicely or else has to sit and read a book alone, she may just learn. Somebody should teach her how to behave. Good luck!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Good luck!! Why do you have them for a month? That seems like a long time for their parent/s to be away...does this happen alot? maybe she is acting out because of that? It's hard...I have a 5 yo going on 16 too...she says she is the boss and likes to tell everyone(including me) how it;s going to be...she doesn't get her way...if she hits you seperate her from the group for x amount of time and explain she cannot hit or she will not be able to play with everyone. If she talks back or says something mean you do the same thing...explain that people don;t want to play with someone who is mean.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• whoop her ass lol..
    Nathonsmama

Answer by Nathonsmama at 9:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• No she is not the oldest in her family. She is the middle child. She is also the only girl in her household.
    It is Mon.-Fri. that I have her and the sibs. Their dad works full time. Here mom is at rehab trying to make her self better.
    It seems like she always get her way. She told my daughter that I was dumb. Because I will not let her little brother eat out side.
    I do have peremision to spank them if needed. But I just dont feel right doing that. Because I dont want them to use it against me later. I can handle a lot of things. But I can not handle rudeness. My hubby(her uncle) said that she acts like a queen B. I dont like those types of words.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011